Question Do Z390 motherboards also support Corsair RAM with XMP 2.0?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
So motherboard that supports XMP 1.0 should work with memory with XMP 2.0? The QVL of my motherboard is very strange. No list of memory over 3000MHz for a workstation motherboard that is supposed to support 4266MHz!!! Also, none of the listed memory modules has XMP 2.0. Just XMP is listed. So I don't know if I will have problems getting Corsair XMP 2.0 RAM. Could you please have a look?

In another thread, I mentioned that Trident Z DDR4-3200CL14 does not work on my motherboard all the time.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
What kit of Corsair do you have? Is the board running latest UEFI?

I have not bought it yet. I am considering Vengeance RGB PRO. At what speed and CL do you recommend? They don't have DDR4-3200C14 for 64GB. I need to choose other frequencies and CL. I think they are all XMP 2.0.

Don't know if the mb is running the latest UEFI. I read people saying that one should not upgrade the BIOS unless something fail to work as upgrading could lead to other issues.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Best to buy a memory set that is either on the motherboard QVL or that the memory maker lists on their site as compatible with the specific board.

Thanks. My motherboard QVL lists only RAM below 3000Mhz. Isn't that strange for such a high end workstation motherboard? Is it false or misleading advertisement as it is advertised to support 4266Mhz.

As for Corsair, they don't have QVL but they list their Vengeance RGB PRO as 300 series motherboard compatible. Is that sufficient? In the past, I asked them a specific model of the Vengeance RGB PRO and they just said that they don't know.

The QVL are kits that manufacture has tested themselves. There are far more kits than on the list that should work fine. However, the speed capable depends on the IMC in the CPU, voltage, ect. XMP settings, voltages, ect. are likely based on averages that work with tested CPUs. Sometimes, VCCSA and VCCIO need adjusted in some cases. Still, most any Intel CPU these days should have no issue getting 3200, at least with 3 sticks. Remember populating all the slots increases the load on memory controller and speed limitations at the higher end.

Reactions: compprob237

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
The QVL are kits that manufacture has tested themselves. There are far more kits than on the list that should work fine. However, the speed capable depends on the IMC in the CPU, voltage, ect. XMP settings, voltages, ect. are likely based on averages that work with tested CPUs. Sometimes, VCCSA and VCCIO need adjusted in some cases. Still, most any Intel CPU these days should have no issue getting 3200, at least with 3 sticks. Remember populating all the slots increases the load on memory controller and speed limitations at the higher end.

Thanks. The problem is that if I want 64GB RAM, I will need to use all four slots. I am using the big Noctua NH-D15S rather than liquid cooling so upcoming 32GB/module RAM may not work.

Since I am using an unpopular motherboard not many people use, I just kind of need to do trial and error (if I want to use ram of 3000Mhz+) and it all depends on luck? Many people suggested using Trident Z DDR4-3200C14 since it has Samsung b-die but it does not work on my motherboard all the time. So unlucky in this case?

Using TridentZ CL14 3200 myself in 16GB configuration w/ 2 8GB sticks. Not sure if they offer a 64GB version. Current 64GB is max for Z390 and I don't have all the info for upcoming 32GB per dimm, though I have seen they are very specific on boards. What does GSkill site say for compatibility regarding 64GB kits?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Using TridentZ CL14 3200 myself in 16GB configuration w/ 2 8GB sticks. Not sure if they offer a 64GB version. Current 64GB is max for Z390 and I don't have all the info for upcoming 32GB per dimm, though I have seen they are very specific on boards. What does GSkill site say for compatibility regarding 64GB kits?

Before I bought Trident Z RGB 16GBx4, G.Skill said it is compatible with my motherboard but it has happened two days that it gave Q-code 53 error and yesterday even BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

Is going to the BIOS to enable XMP the only thing I need to do? Do I have to overclock the CPU first before enabling the XMP? Somewhere I read that one needs to OC the CPU before OC the RAM not the other way around.

RealBeast

Titan
Thanks. My motherboard QVL lists only RAM below 3000Mhz. Isn't that strange for such a high end workstation motherboard? Is it false or misleading advertisement as it is advertised to support 4266Mhz.

As for Corsair, they don't have QVL but they list their Vengeance RGB PRO as 300 series motherboard compatible. Is that sufficient? In the past, I asked them a specific model of the Vengeance RGB PRO and they just said that they don't know.
Not really strange for motherboard manufacturers not to keep up with the memory companies. It is of course in the interest of the memory companies to do more testing to sell more product.

For the motherboard company they have less incentive to retest boards after they start selling and often only the earlier slower memory gets tested by them.

Corsair and G.Skill are both excellent about dealing with issues when they say a set will work. I've often found that both will replace sets that they actually never certified to work.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
The Corsair 64GB DDR4-3466C16 ram kit just arrived. Unfortunately, after installation of this new RAM, I still get Q-code 53 error. Does that mean it is the motherboard that is defective?

If money is not an issue, what are the top two best Z390 motherboards? Ones that can work well with 64GB RAM at speeds 3200C14, 3466C16 or above? I am using high-end components such as i9-9900K, fast 64GB RAM and EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080Ti Ultra Gaming. Main uses are computationally intensive scientific computations, CAD, computer simulations, Matlab, CUDA computations. Secondary use is 4K gaming. How about the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme and the MSI MEG Z390 Godlike? Which is better in terms of compatibility, performance and support?

As for the RAM, which has better performance, Corsair 64GB DDR4-3466C16 or G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200C14 RGB RAM (16GBx4)?

Last edited:

compprob237

Distinguished
The Corsair 64GB DDR4-3466C16 ram kit just arrived. Unfortunately, after installation of this new RAM, I still get Q-code 53 error. Does that mean it is the motherboard that is defective?
Is this error before or after enabling XMP? Have you tried booting with only two of the four sticks? Tried with only one stick in the 2nd slot from the CPU? Tried changing to different sticks in the 2nd slot to rule out a bad stick? Have you tried increasing the RAM voltage even higher than the XMP setting (1.35v)? Have you tried fiddling with the VCCSA/VCCIO settings? Essentially any kit that is "rated" above DDR4-2133 is being overclocked and thus you must approach them as if they're being overclocked.
If money is not an issue, what are the top two best Z390 motherboards? Ones that can work well with 64GB RAM at speeds 3200C14, 3466C16 or above? I am using high-end components such as i9-9900K, fast 64GB RAM and EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080Ti Ultra Gaming. Main uses are computationally intensive scientific computations, CAD, computer simulations, Matlab, CUDA computations. Secondary use is 4K gaming. How about the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme and the MSI MEG Z390 Godlike? Which is better in terms of compatibility, performance and support?
RAM speed really isn't 100% guaranteed to work at the rated speed. Some CPU's have finicky IMCs and that is not the fault of the RAM manufacturer. Other times the motherboard itself makes it difficult to reach the advertised speed. This is especially true once you pass DDR4-3600 or if you use 4+ sticks at or above DDR4-3466.
As for the RAM, which has better performance, Corsair 64GB DDR4-3466C16 or G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200C14 RGB RAM (16GBx4)?
The DDR4-3200CL14 kit has significantly better latency and will be easier to run with your CPU's clearly finicky IMC.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Is this error before or after enabling XMP? Have you tried booting with only two of the four sticks? Tried with only one stick in the 2nd slot from the CPU? Tried changing to different sticks in the 2nd slot to rule out a bad stick? Have you tried increasing the RAM voltage even higher than the XMP setting (1.35v)? Have you tried fiddling with the VCCSA/VCCIO settings? Essentially any kit that is "rated" above DDR4-2133 is being overclocked and thus you must approach them as if they're being overclocked.
RAM speed really isn't 100% guaranteed to work at the rated speed. Some CPU's have finicky IMCs and that is not the fault of the RAM manufacturer. Other times the motherboard itself makes it difficult to reach the advertised speed. This is especially true once you pass DDR4-3600 or if you use 4+ sticks at or above DDR4-3466.
The DDR4-3200CL14 kit has significantly better latency and will be easier to run with your CPU's clearly finicky IMC.

Error caused with no XMP enabled. I checked with ASUS. They said that it might be defective so I am returning it.