[SOLVED] Documentation on Ryzen 5 3500

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
I do realize that this might be quite stupid, but here goes:
I built a system with the Ryzen 5 3500 quite recently, looking at only the specifications. Now, when I was looking for some details (such as the max supported temperatures), I found that AMD doesn't even have a page for this particular CPU, even though it's been out for some time now. They have pages for the 3600 and the 3500U, but not the 3500.
Is there any information about this? Am I missing something here?

Solution
the 3500 is an OEM only release, not available for regular consumers.
this processor is only available for mass-produced 3rd party systems.

where did you purchase it? do you have AMD certified packaging and documentation that was included?

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
the 3500 is an OEM only release, not available for regular consumers.
this processor is only available for mass-produced 3rd party systems.

where did you purchase it? do you have AMD certified packaging and documentation that was included?

That's quite strange, since the 3500 was available in stores both online and offline here. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.in/AMD-Generation-Desktop-Processor-Socket/dp/B07YZR314W/

I bought it at a physical store in my city (Bangalore, India), and the packaging looked no different from the 3600. I'm not entirely sure about physical documentation - I'll dig through the box when I get back home later today.

That's quite strange, since the 3500 was available in stores both online and offline here. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.in/AMD-Generation-Desktop-Processor-Socket/dp/B07YZR314W/
odd, that leads to an AMD T-Shirt when i click on your link. but my copy of it leads to the processor itself...possibly Amazon manipulating links for advertisements.

it could be that enough 3rd party system manufacturers did not want the product so AMD added it to their regular merchandising to make it available for consumers. but i don't see it available at any American retailers at all yet.
I bought it at a physical store in my city (Bangalore, India), and the packaging looked no different from the 3600. I'm not entirely sure about physical documentation - I'll dig through the box when I get back home later today.
the external packaging and the internal documents should list what CPU is included. maybe AMD has cheaped-out and just started using generic packaging for the entire series.

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
odd, that leads to an AMD T-Shirt when i click on your link. but my copy of it leads to the processor itself...possibly Amazon manipulating links for advertisements.

Yeah, I tried clicking the link, and it went through a proxy before reaching the correct destination. It might be redirecting you differently based on your location. Quite strange really.

it could be that enough 3rd party system manufacturers did not want the product so AMD added it to their regular merchandising to make it available for consumers. but i don't see it available at any American retailers at all yet.
the external packaging and the internal documents should list what CPU is included. maybe AMD has cheaped-out and just started using generic packaging for the entire series.

That certainly makes sense. The only thing that got to me was the fact that AMD's website didn't list the 3500, which was quite confusing.
The processor I got is most certainly the 3500, since all the software (Geforce Experience, CCleaner, System information, etc) points to that. I was mainly worried about the support and such, if the processor wasn't officially listed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Amazon does redirect from links. Going to Amazon.in directly and then search 3500 will show results for the product.

Some info on the cpu. 65w, would allow an additional 50w worth of turbo to cool.

https://www.techspot.com/news/82802-amd-confirms-oem-only-ryzen-5-3500.html

It's a 6 core processor with no smt. Honestly id go for the 3600 instead or even 2600 if price is a concern.

Since it's a 3600 without smt, see Guru's power consumption for single thread load.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,7.html

Last edited:

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
a good chance you would have to rely on the retailer for any support since AMD isn't listing the product.
but any product manual in the packaging you have should state what type of warranty, if any, was included by AMD.

So I checked in the box, and I found the installation instructions and warranty details. It looks like it has a 3 year warranty, so at least support won't be much of a problem.
Still, I wasn't able to find any document with any details on the specifications of the chip.

Amazon does redirect from links. Going to Amazon.in directly and then search 3500 will show results for the product.

Some info on the cpu. 65w, would allow an additional 50w worth of turbo to cool.

https://www.techspot.com/news/82802-amd-confirms-oem-only-ryzen-5-3500.html

It's a 6 core processor with no smt. Honestly id go for the 3600 instead or even 2600 if price is a concern.

Since it's a 3600 without smt, see Guru's power consumption for single thread load.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,7.html

I wasn't really bothered with multithreading when I bought the 3500, since most games don't require it. I kinda started regretting it a bit when I found that emulation makes use of SMT... Either way, since I've already bought it, there isn't much that I can do.
Would it be safe to assume that the specs are the same as the 3600, if you discount the SMT?
I'm mainly looking for the max rated temps, since I'm facing some heating issues.

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
100w cooler would be the limit IF you had good air flow. Look toward a 150w+ air cooler to improve cooling. Cryorig h7, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 and Noctua D15.

Yeah, I've got a thread going on that one (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-high-temps-under-load.3575475/#post-21586003 ), and it seems to be an airflow issue due to my overly cheap case. If my case modding doesn't do enough, then I'll buy a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 (Rated for 125W), which won't be too hard on the wallet.

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Fair enough. Some intake fans to move air through will help. I wish you luck in your endeavour.

Thank you!

what case are you using and what type of fan placement do you currently have?

I'm using the Antec NX200, with one exhaust fan at the back, and two inlet fans up front. The layout looks something like this (green boxes = fans):

blCBBOy.png

I've cut a small opening where the red line is, and it has given me a small dip in temperature (around 2-3C).

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Can the front panel be removed at all? Ideally you'd want very little restriction for the front fans. Possibly drilling more holes if front can be removed to work on.

Yeah, the front panel can be removed, and I'll probably need to add some more holes for airflow, even though the appearance would get pretty messed up.

if you're interested in upgrading;
shopping list of nicer cases with better then average features: NewEgg.

Sadly, I just built the entire system around a month ago. I'd rather not buy a new case unless there is absolutely no other option haha.