Question Does 12th Gen. Motherboard work wIth a 2GB LP GPU ?

Jun 26, 2022
Does a 12th Gen. motherboard work with 2GB Graphics Card without any problem?

CPU - Intel 12th Gen Core i5-12600K (Alder Lake)
Motherboard - MSI PRO B660M-G DDR4 12th Gen mATX Motherboard
RAM - Kingston FURY Beast 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 Desktop RAM KF432C16BB/8

Buying a 2GB LP GPU for this spec. will be good?

DSzymborski

Titan
Whether a card has 2 GB of VRAM or is low profile has nothing to do with whether a GPU will work with a motherboard or not.

Nor does "2 GB LP GPU" identify a GPU. While I can't imagine any 2 GB GPU would still be "good," the question is whether this 2 GB GPU will be better than or worse than the integrated graphics, which would make the GPU pointless in most cases. And that can only be answered with actual information about this GPU.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

shahfaraz

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016
LP has nothing to do with the processor or motherboard but the cabinet.
You have a good processor. Nowaday, integrated graphics are decent to work with.
You have not mentioned which 2GB card you are opting for. If you are into gaming, keeping the processor in mind, I would suggest you to go for a minimum of GTX 1650.

I'm assuming you mean something like an Nvidia 1030, if so then yes it will work fine. However as @SkyNetRising has pointed out, you may run into compatibility issues on older GPU's that do not support UEFI.

Reactions: M.Saikat

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Igpu in 12th gen cpus is about the same as anything 2Gb. Even the GT1030 gets lower scores than the UHD-770 used in the 12700.

So what you get is could have spent a few more $$ for igpu over F rated cpu, or spending a larger amount to get a gpu equal to the igpu. Anything under a GT1030 2Gb is going to be worse than 12th gen igpu.

They all fit, as long as they are the same pcie x16, that hasn't changed in over 20 years, you'd need a truly ancient AGP x8 for it not to fit, physically, but many of the cards that came about in the 700 series and prior can have issues since they use a legacy vbios and modern equipment uses a uefi vbios.

Need specifics on the card, but most likely any new card would function.

As to "is it good?" likely not.
The integrated graphics is plenty capable, and I would try that out first.
You can always add a more capable graphics card later.

I had occasion to temporarily abandon use of a 3070 because of a psu failure. I used an old GTX1050ti which worked, but the image was off.
I tried integrated UHD770 graphics(on the 12600k also) and the image on a 4k hdmi monitor was superb @60hz.