[SOLVED] Does 19 inch monitor in vertical portrait mode needs to scroll horizontal right to see everything?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hi,

I intend to use a 32 inch 1440p monitor and another secondary monitor. When browsing the internet I do not like to scroll horizontally to see data hidden at right side.

Question 1 : I am considering Dell E1916H to put in vertical portrait mode. When browsing normal webpages, may I know will I need to scroll right to view everything? Or will everything be displayed at a smaller scale? (I wonder if data will be hidden at right side due to small monitor size)
E1916H https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-19-monitor-e1916h/apd/210-agnd/monitors-monitor-accessories

Question 2: E1916H does not have hdmi port. Can I use displayport to hdmi converter, or vga to hdmi converter so I can connect to a hdmi device?

I am also considering Dell P1917S normal landscape orientation but it is more expensive. If E1916H in vertical does not have side scrolling bar I will prefer E1916H as it is cheaper and the panel vertical length is about same height as 32 inch panel.
P1917S https://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-p1917s-monitor/pd

Thanks

Solution
For question one, it depends on how the site is set up. If a site allows for vertical viewing, then no, you won't need to scroll horizontally. If the site isn't setup correctly, then yes, you will need to scroll horizontally. Screen size does not matter, it's resolution. You can have a 5 inch 1440p screen in vertical mode, everything will be displayed better than a 50 inch 720p in vertical mode.

I do recommend a 1080p monitor for vertical viewing if you are concerned about it. But 720p won't hurt if you can't afford the 1080p monitor.

For Question 2, yes, you can use a Display port to HDMI converter for your HDMI device. Amazon sells cables for $13 or less (depending on length).

mangaman

Honorable
For question one, it depends on how the site is set up. If a site allows for vertical viewing, then no, you won't need to scroll horizontally. If the site isn't setup correctly, then yes, you will need to scroll horizontally. Screen size does not matter, it's resolution. You can have a 5 inch 1440p screen in vertical mode, everything will be displayed better than a 50 inch 720p in vertical mode.

I do recommend a 1080p monitor for vertical viewing if you are concerned about it. But 720p won't hurt if you can't afford the 1080p monitor.

For Question 2, yes, you can use a Display port to HDMI converter for your HDMI device. Amazon sells cables for $13 or less (depending on length).

Solution