[SOLVED] Does 2 mid end GPUS on one MB make it twice as good?

Sep 22, 2020
I just got a new motherboard, the MSI b450 GamingPro Carbon AC and I see it has 4 RAM slots and 2 GPU slots along with 2 M.2 SSD slots. So it got me thinking, I currently just have a 1050 TI and if I got another one just due to the current world GPU situation and added it to my MB. Would 2 1050 TIs add up to be the equivalent of twice as good or does it more just give more video memory?

Solution
. Would 2 1050 TIs add up to be the equivalent of twice as good
No.
Even when SLI was popular you would never get that kind of a performance increase.

does it more just give more video memory
Also no.
In SLI vram is mirrored, so if you SLI 2 4Gb cards you would still only have 4Gb of usable Vram in games.

In short getting a 2nd 1050Ti(which doesn't technically support SLI anyway) would be a waste of money.

Lutfij

Titan
You wouldn't be able to pair them or SLI them, since the option to do so doesn't exist. If this was a decade ago, yes it would've been possible. The answer to your question is to invest in the single most powerful GPU your wallet will allow(or is available in the market). FYI, the second PCIe slot is for crossfire or for any other device that needs a PCIe x16 slot(not going to bring up lanes in this thread to keep things simple).

Sep 22, 2020
You wouldn't be able to pair them or SLI them, since the option to do so doesn't exist. If this was a decade ago, yes it would've been possible. The answer to your question is to invest in the single most powerful GPU your wallet will allow(or is available in the market). FYI, the second PCIe slot is for crossfire or for any other device that needs a PCIe x16 slot(not going to bring up lanes in this thread to keep things simple).
I dont know anything about crossfire so, unsure what the slots would really be used for then. Which slot would I install my GPU into then? My current MB has half of what this new MB has so its all new to me

DSzymborski

Titan
I dont know anything about crossfire so, unsure what the slots would really be used for then. Which slot would I install my GPU into then? My current MB has half of what this new MB has so its all new to me

The top slot is almost always the one that runs at x16. Check your motherboard's manual.

Multi-GPU solutions, for gaming and ordinary use -- there are workstation exceptions -- are effectively dead in 2021, even when they are technically supported.

Sep 22, 2020
The top slot is almost always the one that runs at x16. Check your motherboard's manual.

Multi-GPU solutions, for gaming and ordinary use -- there are workstation exceptions -- are effectively dead in 2021, even when they are technically supported.
I hardly understand any of this XD so just find my GPU slot and the other slot is technically useless. Both of the M.2 Slots work right so I can run 2 at once with no issues?

bignastyid

Titan
. Would 2 1050 TIs add up to be the equivalent of twice as good
No.
Even when SLI was popular you would never get that kind of a performance increase.

does it more just give more video memory
Also no.
In SLI vram is mirrored, so if you SLI 2 4Gb cards you would still only have 4Gb of usable Vram in games.

In short getting a 2nd 1050Ti(which doesn't technically support SLI anyway) would be a waste of money.

Solution

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Install the GPU in the top PCIe slot (closest to your CPU).
And if you have two NVMe drives installed, you can't use any of the PCI slots as stated on the Specifications page for that MB:
Specification B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | MSI Global
  • 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E1)
    • Supports x16 speed with 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ processors
    • Supports x8 speed with Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with adeon™ Graphics processors
    • Supports x4 speed with AMD® Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors
  • 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot (PCI_E4, supports x4 mode)1,2
  • 3 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots2

1. M2_2 slot will be unavailable when installing devices in PCI_E2, PCI_E3, PCI_E4 and PCI_E5 slot.
  2. PCI_E4 will run x1 speed when installing devices in any PCIe 2.0x1 slot.

Last edited: