[SOLVED] Does 380watt power supply enough to power the nvidia 8800gt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hello Guys

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
so recently i buy nvidia 8800 gt now i dont know how many watt i need i only have a 380watt power supply is it enough.

Solution
I had an XFX 8800GT 512 Alpha Dog edition, 6pin pcie, man that card was awesome. Back in the day.

Unless it's an actual nvidia reference card you have, any of the partner cards expect upto a 150w draw. Add in another 70w for the cpu and another 100w to cover the drives and fan and motherboard etc and you are pushing @ 320w total.

Where that gets screwy is the age of your components. Modern systems use primarily 12v. Yours does not. It has somewhat higher usage of 3.3v and 5v rails, especially in the gpu itself. So going off the standard 22A rating (264w) being a lot lower than normal, it's not as bad because of the minor rails usage.

The screwy part being just how much usage. If you take a standard gaming load as being 70% of...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I had an XFX 8800GT 512 Alpha Dog edition, 6pin pcie, man that card was awesome. Back in the day.

Unless it's an actual nvidia reference card you have, any of the partner cards expect upto a 150w draw. Add in another 70w for the cpu and another 100w to cover the drives and fan and motherboard etc and you are pushing @ 320w total.

Where that gets screwy is the age of your components. Modern systems use primarily 12v. Yours does not. It has somewhat higher usage of 3.3v and 5v rails, especially in the gpu itself. So going off the standard 22A rating (264w) being a lot lower than normal, it's not as bad because of the minor rails usage.

The screwy part being just how much usage. If you take a standard gaming load as being 70% of power from the psu, that's 224w ± that you'd be actually using, putting it just inside the 12v limits with further support from the minor rails.

So on paper, technically your psu is currently good for that gpu. But that is totally reliant on the psu itself. If you have a Delta or Seasonic OEM psu, no worries, you should be good as those units are very often underrated, able to supply more than the sticker value. If you have a non-branded, un-named, wierd crazy excuse for a psu, you are sunk. It's most likely made up numbers and not accurate in any sense of the word. Replace it.

Solution

Hello Guys

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021

The screwy part being just how much usage. If you take a standard gaming load as being 70% of power from the psu, that's 224w ± that you'd be actually using, putting it just inside the 12v limits with further support from the minor rails.

So on paper, technically your psu is currently good for that gpu. But that is totally reliant on the psu itself. If you have a Delta or Seasonic OEM psu, no worries, you should be good as those units are very often underrated, able to supply more than the sticker value. If you have a non-branded, un-named, wierd crazy excuse for a psu, you are sunk. It's most likely made up numbers and not accurate in any sense of the word. Replace it.
i will replace it with a better one.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
😂 If i remember, ill post a photo tomorow so you can calm down little bit

Make sure to provide a screenshot of the GPU-Z to ensure that it's not a fake.

We take disinformation very seriously here. You made an extraordinary claim; when a couple AMD GPUs were drawing 80-90W from the PCIE slot, it cause major hoopla in the tech world, so a 125W GPU that is powered only by a 75W slot would be a huge story. If you think documenting such a claim is a source of amusement, especially when that claim involves a safety issue, the door is right that-a-way.

The sticker on the card shows 8800 gt and the label on the back shows 8800 gt 64 bit 512mb but gpu-z shows 8400 gs.

I apologize for my confusion. Geuss i was sold a fake 8800 gt. :cautious:

Oops, yep, I'm going to guess the card was much cheaper than the others, or you got it used from some kid that got duped. One of the best ways to find fake cards is to see if there are odd differences in the card vs what it should have, like video ports or the power connectors. A lot of fake newer cards had VGA ports on them, which was a huge red flag. The 750Ti was a favorite to fake, but all of the fakes that I looked at had a VGA port, which the 750 Ti did not have.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I cant remember what i paid for it but it was cheap but i bought it at an IT shop new out of the box. I dont have the box or proof of purchase but also the place closed. Dont know why but i think we all know why