Does 980 gtx price drop make it more attrative vs 970?

BToler

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hello,

I'm looking to update my graphics card after using a 560 ti crysis edition for way too long. I didn't intend to keep it as long as I have but things happen. I am currently gaming on a 1080p monitor but plan to upgrade to a 1440 early next year. When I do, I will have a dual monitor setup with the new one for playing games and the 2nd (current) monitor for web browsing and such.

I read several posts about the 980's price tage being $200 over a 970, which made it overkill for 1080 & 1440 gaming. But now I can get a 980 for $399, after rebate whereas the 970's are $309,

So I'm wondering if that drop in price changes peoples' tunes?

PS: $600+ for a 980ti is just too much for me at the moment and I'm pretty sure that would be overkill for my setup.

Luminary

Admirable
You're looking at roughly a 20% performance increase in most circumstances between the two, so if you have the budget and that sounds like a good trade-off go for it. It will certainly be a fantastic card for gaming for quite some time.

Here's a fantastic review between the two cards on Guru3D, includes a whole lot of game benchmarks you can compare the two cards for:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,1.html