[SOLVED] Does a 3080 require 2 psu cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I've just purchased a 3080 prebuild with a 5800x.

I've noticed that the build has only 1 cable going into the 3080 (its a asus tuf card) the cable is a 6 + 2 split into another 6 + 2. With my previous 2080 super I put in 2 separate cables from the PSU. Is the same required for 3080? I have a RM 1000x also so i dont know if that pushes out more power through a 1 cable?

I don't mind sticking an extra cable in just would of preferred to avoid it in case i need to use my warranty and rip the cable back out etc.

Solution
A quality psu is designed to deliver power to the cables connected.
If two 6+2 connectors are attached to one lead, that should be ok and will result in cleaner cable management. Your RM psu is a quality unit so you should be OK whichever way you want to go.

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
some 3rd party manufacturer's variants require 2.
and some 20pin adapters require 3.

if it's running with no crashes or screen artifacts then you have nothing to worry about.

you would never "rip" the cable out. you would just press in the clip and gently remove it.
No everything's running smoothly and running at 100% utilization. I thought it was only possible to provide 150w through 1 gpu cable though? and then 75 from the pcie lane, doesnt the 3080 need like 300+ or something?

A quality psu is designed to deliver power to the cables connected.
If two 6+2 connectors are attached to one lead, that should be ok and will result in cleaner cable management. Your RM psu is a quality unit so you should be OK whichever way you want to go.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.