Question Does a SEAGATE Backup Plus HUB, 8 TB HDD has to stand upright?

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Can one genarally lay down (on one of the 2 biggest expanses) each USB (3 or 2) external hard drive (e.g. WD MyBook, Elements, Seagate Expansion and especially a SEAGATE Backup Plus HUB, 8 TB HDD (https://www.seagate.com/de/de/consumer/backup/backup-plus-desk/) instead of putting it upright like shown on all images?

It seems as if the cooling comes from / through the bottom (when standing upright) and the feets are not very high and if the drive stands on a soft underlay the openings might get impermeable.

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Does it matter on which of the two sides I lay it?

Why are the openings for the cooling on the bottom (and not e.g. on top)? I would think that is the most unfavorable place for such. Actually I would put a soft unterlay under the drive (if it would stand upright) to avoid noise but that would close the openings.

USAFRet

Titan
Why are the openings for the cooling on the bottom (and not e.g. on top)? I would think that is the most unfavorable place for such. Actually I would put a soft unterlay under the drive (if it would stand upright) to avoid noise but that would close the openings.
It almost certainly has little rubber feet to isolate vibration, and give just enough clearance for some airflow.

It will work either way.

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
It almost certainly has little rubber feet to isolate vibration, and give just enough clearance for some airflow.
Yes, but I meant:
It seems as if the cooling comes from / through the bottom (when standing upright) and the feets are not very high and if the drive stands on a soft underlay the openings might get impermeable.

It will work either way.
On both sides?

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Don't stand it up on a soft squishy surface.
Because that is not "possible" (without closing the openings) / useful for this drive because of the openings at the bottom - almost all of my other drives are standing on soft squishy surfaces (because of the noise, the feet do not help very good / avoid that noise).

That drive seemed designed from the start to lay flat,
Because of its design?

it's rather ugly upright.
Yes, but it does not look less ugly laying flat or in any other position, I would think.