[SOLVED] Does additional RAM needs to be same vendor or same part?

Sep 6, 2021
Hi,
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of mixing RAM series for a 32GB to 64GB upgrade to my workstation. Original RAM was two Kingston ValueRAM 2400MHz 16GB DIMM's. I added two Kingston HYPERX 2400MHz 16GB DIMM's in the hope that the same vendor should be compatible.
Despite this hope with the new RAM the PC is stuttering all over the place is literally unusable. Now I have two questions.

First: Does anybody know what is causing the stuttering from a technical perspective?

Second: Does RAM has to be not only the same vendor but also the same series? And in a series does it have to be the exact same spec as compared to for example having a 2666MHz stick in a 2400MHz system?

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If all 4 sticks were sufficiently matched then which goes where is moot.
If your motherboard bios has the ability to adjust the ram voltage settings, then, possibly you can get things to run by increasing the voltage.
That may not be possible on your H270 chipset motherboard.

If you need 64gb, buy a supported 4 x 16gb kit.
Preferably one...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When upgrading ram, always make sure to buy the same stick(identical) of ram as the one that you already have. if not, you should invest in a dual channel ram kit, one that conforms to your platform.

What is the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? OS version if on Windows 10? Processor's make and model?

Sep 6, 2021
Thank you for your reply. I have an Asus Prime H270M-Plus motherboard with BIOS version: "American Megatrends Inc. 0809, 7/7/2017". OS is Windows 10 21H1 with OS build 19043.1165. The processor is an intel i7-7700.

Does it make a difference in what slots you put the RAM stick when mixing? The original RAM was in slots DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1. I added the new ones in slots DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2.
Would it have been better to put the original pair into slot DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 and the new RAM pair into slot DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2?

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If all 4 sticks were sufficiently matched then which goes where is moot.
If your motherboard bios has the ability to adjust the ram voltage settings, then, possibly you can get things to run by increasing the voltage.
That may not be possible on your H270 chipset motherboard.

If you need 64gb, buy a supported 4 x 16gb kit.
Preferably one explicitly supported on the ram qvl list.

Solution