Does an ASUS-P5KPL AM-SE mobo supports DDR5 graphics cards and DDR3 RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Fox

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Hello, i am currently unsure of my choices that i'm doing with my motherboard, i'm thinking to buy a EVGA GeForce GTX 460 768MB DDR5 graphics card, and 2x4GB DDR3 RAM. Overall my PC is very weak, so i'm saving up for these, but then, i realized that my mobo is very old, and i'm afraid that the graphics card and the RAM that i wanted is uncompatible is with my motherboard. Here are my current PC specifications:

ASUS Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3
2 pieces of 1GB DDR2 RAM (2GB RAM)
Intel Core 2 Quad E8400 @ 2,66 GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
230V PSU
ASUS P5KPL AM-SE

Because most video games and programs require 4GB+ RAM for 64-bit OS, i decided to buy 4x2GB DDR3 RAM, so my RAM would be 8GB, but the problem is the RAM i wanted is DDR3, and i'm really unsure if my mobo supports DDR3 RAM, and DDR5 graphics cards.

I know that GTX 460 is not the best for today's gaming, but i'm not the person that could buy a GTX 970, and i'm not that interested into modern games anyway.

P.S I apologize if my explanation is confusing, i'm not good at English, and i'm no computer expert. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Like most of the S775 boards out there that one only supports DDR2 ram. So you can't buy DDR3 ram and make it work. You can buy a GPU with DDR3/5 ram on it and it will be fine. That card communicates through the PCIe bus and the GPU has it's own memory controller so you don't need to worry about that.

4745454b

Titan
Like most of the S775 boards out there that one only supports DDR2 ram. So you can't buy DDR3 ram and make it work. You can buy a GPU with DDR3/5 ram on it and it will be fine. That card communicates through the PCIe bus and the GPU has it's own memory controller so you don't need to worry about that.

Solution

Kevin Fox

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

So you're saying that the DDR3 RAM won't work, but the GTX 460 will work on my mobo?

P.S I'm sorry about the late reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.