Does an ethernet cable effect my family's internet,

noahstrand700

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Well for starters my pc wifi is wireless and i got told that an ethernet cable was alot better,'
There's around 10 devices connected to the wifi

i have around 150 mbs download speed,

Solution

Consider this....
Currently, you have 10 devices competing for that same WiFi connection. PC, phone, tablets...

If you were to connect your PC to the router with an ethernet cable, now there are only have 9 devices competing for that same WiFi space.
Your PC still uses the same overall bandwidth, but it is no longer competing in a congested WiFi space.

USAFRet

Titan

Need a whole lot more info on this:

1. What type of connection do you have? Cable, DSL, fiber, other?
2. What speed do you pay the ISP for?
2. How many devices are connected?
4. How are they all connected? WiFi, ethernet, other?

In general, an ethernet cable connection will affect other users less than another WiFi connection.

USAFRet

Titan

An ethernet cable for you is better for both you and everyone else.

Your PC will not be competing for that same WiFi bandwidth.
And with 150mbps, and that number of devices, there is no problem about 'running out'.

USAFRet

Titan

Consider this....
Currently, you have 10 devices competing for that same WiFi connection. PC, phone, tablets...

If you were to connect your PC to the router with an ethernet cable, now there are only have 9 devices competing for that same WiFi space.
Your PC still uses the same overall bandwidth, but it is no longer competing in a congested WiFi space.

Solution
Oct 26, 2019

Consider this....

What if there is a 1gb cable and a 10 gb cable,will that slow down the internet for the person with a 1 gb cable?