Does an HDD have an effect on FPS?

JohnThe

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
I have a GTX 1070 Strix GPU and I cant seem to run a game as simple as League of legends with more than around 30 frames. My computer has 16 GB of RAM, a 4790k i7 processor, and a 700W power supply. I was wondering if getting a SSD (Samsund 850 EVO) would help run games smoother. My current HDD is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 which isnt high end or anything, thats why Im wondering

Solution
Yes, a hdd can affect games, under certain conditions. If the game is fully loaded from the hdd, meaning its standalone and not web based, then an hdd can slow down the flow of data. This is more apparent in high end pc's that are used to uber detail games.
Being web based, LoL is more dependent net traffic, there's little that's actually in the ram, most is from the web servers combining your character with other players online, with only area details coming from your pc.

There's many reasons for a hipo pc to have low fps, including mobo drivers, cpu/gpu temps, VRM temps, driver conflicts, fps caps, v-sync, OC stability, eco settings, power settings, bios etc.

Pretty much unless your hdd is at capacity and really has no room for...

JohnThe

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

Yeah I definitely am

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, a hdd can affect games, under certain conditions. If the game is fully loaded from the hdd, meaning its standalone and not web based, then an hdd can slow down the flow of data. This is more apparent in high end pc's that are used to uber detail games.
Being web based, LoL is more dependent net traffic, there's little that's actually in the ram, most is from the web servers combining your character with other players online, with only area details coming from your pc.

There's many reasons for a hipo pc to have low fps, including mobo drivers, cpu/gpu temps, VRM temps, driver conflicts, fps caps, v-sync, OC stability, eco settings, power settings, bios etc.

Pretty much unless your hdd is at capacity and really has no room for windows cache, or it's dieing a slow death with bad sectors, or is in dire need of optimizing/defrag, then there shouldn't be an issue in that respect.

Solution
I think skipping ahead to game performance when troubleshooting computer performance is a mistake. Run some non game benchmarks to see if your computer is working normally or not. 3dmark is usually where I start. Your score, is it reasonable or way off?

After you're sure your CPU and videocard are performing as expected, then you can do a clean install of one game and test that.

No game that I'm aware of limits your framerate based on how fast your hard drive is. How fast the game loads? Sure. How fast a new map or level will load? Sure. How many fps you get when there is no hard drive access needed? Nope, it has nothing to do with it.