Does an i5-4690 bottleneck an gtx 1070 card?

Solution

a GTX1060 would be enough for that
however a GTX1070 gives you the possibility on upgrading to a bigger/better display in the future

I wouldn't worry about a possible bottleneck too much
in some games the CPU will be pushed to it's limits wheras the GPU will have reserves, in some it's a match made in heaven

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
Positive. They're all basically the same. Like they have different base/boost clocks, but they all overclock basically the same. You won't be able to feel a difference one brand to another if you overclock. If you don't plan to overclock, I guess go for the one with the highest base/boost factory overclock. You can also look at dimensions, LEDs, other superficial things when deciding. Fans are a thing too. I personally have the GTX 1070 G1 Gaming and it's cool. But they're all cool.

it is a good choice although generally ASUS charges more than other brands for the sake of it being an ASUS card.
I personally got the Gainward Phoenix GS (which at the time was around 75€ cheaper than the ASUS) and can recommend it
but with Pascal, all the cards are basically the same, some are bigger, some got 2, some got 3 fans. the performance is leveled, temps differ around 5-6 degrees from what I've seen

To answer the "bottleneck" question, a bit more info required.
Is your CPU 4690 or 4690K ?
What is your monitor resolution?
To put it simple, if you have a 144Hz or 165Hz 1080p monitor, in some games the i5 (even overclocked K variant) will bottleneck the GTX 1070.
If you game on 1440p or higher res monitor, the i5 is fine for now.

a GTX1060 would be enough for that
however a GTX1070 gives you the possibility on upgrading to a bigger/better display in the future

I wouldn't worry about a possible bottleneck too much
in some games the CPU will be pushed to it's limits wheras the GPU will have reserves, in some it's a match made in heaven

Solution

CMGCF_ELiTe

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

I am planning on upgrading from my gtx 970 to a 1070, I too have an i5 4690 (non k)
I use a 144hz 1080p monitor, will I be a victim of bottlenecking?

CMGCF_ELiTe

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

Thanks! I plan on holding on to my 1070 for at the very least my next build, so a CPU upgrade can always come about in the future! Thanks! :)

that's a rational thinking :)
See, I have a 1080p@60Hz monitor which is significantly "bottlenecking", and yet do not really care about it.
I was expecting to have a new 3440x1440@120-144Hz monitor by now, but those f**rs (manufacturers) have not released such yet.

CMGCF_ELiTe

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015

I know what you mean... Honestly I'm surprised such a monitor doesn't exist yet; and if it does, it seems damn near impossible to find....
There is one though (curved) @ 100hz.... ( https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Curved-34-inch-UltraWide-Display/dp/B0111MRT90 )
But In my opinion I'd hold back on spending $800+ on it, in hopes that a 144hz variant hits the market.

This one is 75Hz if i remember correctly.
Acer Predator X34 and Asus PG348Q are the ones that do 100Hz. But at least the first one has suffered from build quality issues. No way I'm going to buy such thing for well over a 1000$.
Waiting for Dell to do the right thing :)