Does any game come close to needing more than 16 GB RAM for Max Performance

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018
I'm sure you can run any game with 16GB of RAM. However, is there any game that benefits from having more than 16GB. This questions assumes you're not running FireFox with 10 tabs in the background. I'm also removing mods and defective games with memory leaks from the list. With a memory leak, I can a make chess game that needs 64GB.

Solution
What about the speculation that you should have more ram than GPUäs Vram?
it is not really an issue for 1080P or 1440P gaming and such since textures and all such are usually small enough to fit in 4-6GB so even if GPU has 8 or 11GB, it isn't used.

But if you aim for full 4k and stuff, possibly more?
So if plan is 4k, now, you might want to consider 32GB but.. waiting a year or two would drop the prices likely enough to make 16 now, more/upgrade later as better choice.
What about the speculation that you should have more ram than GPUäs Vram?
it is not really an issue for 1080P or 1440P gaming and such since textures and all such are usually small enough to fit in 4-6GB so even if GPU has 8 or 11GB, it isn't used.

But if you aim for full 4k and stuff, possibly more?
So if plan is 4k, now, you might want to consider 32GB but.. waiting a year or two would drop the prices likely enough to make 16 now, more/upgrade later as better choice.

Solution

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018

Does this include texture packs? I'm not doubting what you're saying. I'm curious; do hi-res texture packs use system RAM or GPU RAM? If you don't have 11GBG on video cars, what happens to hi-res texture? Do they swap between your SSD-> System RAM -> GPU RAM? Thanks.

^ the gpu can pagefile from system ram if absolutely necessary (in much the same way that pagefiling from hard drive occurs when you don't have enough system ram)

Neither of the above are really circumstances you want if you can avoid them because pagefiling in this way causes huge performance drops.

16gb ram & the best gpu You can afford is always always a better choice than 32gb ram & a weaker gpu.That will never change.

ttran7701

Commendable
Apr 19, 2018

What type of drive is your storage? Is a old style platter drive, HDD? Or a sold state drive?

Aug 25, 2018

My drive is HDD. Only game I really play is PlanetSide 2. Copying files to ram makes gameplay much better.