Does any wireless PC card work with any Wireless Router?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Just need to match chip sets for best performace.

My built in is so bad you have to be with in 20ft line of site, and it still drops. The reason I use a PCMCI card.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
What they said is true, but for it to work at all you need to be on the same standard (a, b/g, n, MIMO, etc.).

Oh, and Blue, have you actually looked at the built-in WiFi card on your lappy? Once I sent in my old laptop on warranty for repairs, it came back with the internal antennas disconnected (stupid Best Buy). I just pushed them back on and the WiFi got back its excellent reception.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
My Laptop has a Raylink 2500 in it. Poor excuse for a wireless mini-pci card. I have found a source where I can get a High Output card, 200-400mw. Raylink is less than 100mw. They have corrected the driver, so it doesn't drop connections. But is still poor on range. I have had it a part. Antennas (2) are connected. I'm using my PCMCI card thay matches my AP right now, 125mbps. I can now cover my whole house with my AP set on low power, and that includes going through 4 walls.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Any should work if you limit yourself to the basic standards (11b & 11g are the most common). If you are trying to use any of the non-standard feature, you need to stick with the same vendor, etc.

Now, some devices just work better than others, but that is a different issue.