Question Does anyone else find it absolutely insane, that the RX 580 is still the most well rounded NEW card around its price point?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are a few arguments to be made here and there with alternative cards in that very image. A380 6GB at $110 in the top left is a decent budget card, and then for a little more then the rx580 you can find the A580 8GB. 6500XT is pretty much on par with an RX580, just have to make sure you have PCIe 4.0. RTX 3050 6GB is also in the price range. Not great, but not a bad choice for upgrading an office PC.

Those refurb/recycled rx580 are questionable as well. A lot of them are former mining cards with new (cheap) coolers stuck on.

I wouldn't say the price point disappeared either, just that the entry level price point is now $200 due to inflation and a little price gouging from the likes of TSMC and everyone inbetween.

artk2219

Distinguished
There are a few arguments to be made here and there with alternative cards in that very image. A380 6GB at $110 in the top left is a decent budget card, and then for a little more then the rx580 you can find the A580 8GB. 6500XT is pretty much on par with an RX580, just have to make sure you have PCIe 4.0. RTX 3050 6GB is also in the price range. Not great, but not a bad choice for upgrading an office PC.

Those refurb/recycled rx580 are questionable as well. A lot of them are former mining cards with new (cheap) coolers stuck on.

I wouldn't say the price point disappeared either, just that the entry level price point is now $200 due to inflation and a little price gouging from the likes of TSMC and everyone inbetween.
You're not wrong, but with a full 8gb VRAM, and at least performance parity with all of the cards around it, I don't see a more rounded option. That said that half height a380 isn't bad for an sff build, and for 110 that other a380 isn't a really terrible option. Every other card has a bigger trade off though, less VRAM, requires PCIE4, requires bios tweaks, the RX 580 8GB doesn't have those issues. Also these options are from microcenter and all are supposedly brand new and have a full warranty like the other new cards around it. I guess we'll be seeing these for years considering how many were produced as mining cards, im sure there are still tons of unused dies in warehouses.

Reactions: Order 66

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That might be the only exception actually looks like an XFX board and a decent heatsink. It is possible those are harvested chips sold in bulk and put on new PCBs. As long as they warranty it, should be okay.

XFX was doing a lot of straight to miner GPUs, so they may have ended up with trays of unused GPUs when the market crashed.

It's mostly because it's a Radeon and GeForce cards always cost more. As a result, any GeForce card at the same price point is going to be slower. It's just the nature of things.

You can say the same thing about the RX 6600, the RX 5700 XT, etc. The only exception that proves the rule is Vega.

That might be the only exception actually looks like an XFX board and a decent heatsink. It is possible those are harvested chips sold in bulk and put on new PCBs. As long as they warranty it, should be okay.

XFX was doing a lot of straight to miner GPUs, so they may have ended up with trays of unused GPUs when the market crashed.
XFX is probably more represented than most because their cards tend to be more minimalist in their aesthetic which often results in better pricing. Sure, nothing is more bare-bones looking than the Powercolor Fighter but I'm thinking that Powercolor has been putting more effort into making flashier cards like Red Devil, Red Dragon and Hellhound. Looking at their designs, it also would appear that XFX SWFT cards have more efficient cooling solutions than Powercolor Fighters. All of these AIB partners were selling directly to cryptofarms and I think that XFX's products and prices just made them the most attractive of the bunch to miners.

XFX has considerable manufacturing capacity, probably more so than Powercolor. This is just a guess but I have always seen far more XFX cards around than Powercolor. Greater manufacturing capability means lower cost per unit and if you want to build a cryptofarm with >1,000 cards, XFX would probably be your best bet. I think that's why XFX cards tend to be over-represented when it comes to AliExpress Radeons with oddball "AIB" names on them.

If you're Pine Technology and someone approaches you with an offer to buy cards in bulk, you probably don't care if the cards end up in the hands of gamers or in huge cryptofarms. All corporations are in the same business, the business of making money.

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
RX 5600 XT is faster than RX 580, and can be found used, at the same price point.

I wouldn't trust used Polaris cards, at this point, because a lot of them are going to be coming from mining farms, especially if the seller is located in China. Chinese sellers tend to have multiple listings for similar cards, so it's pretty much a dead giveaway, that they are breaking up a mining farm.

A Vega 56/64 card may also be an option. I don't see these being sold in bulk quanties, like RX580/590 cards.

If you have more money, you can also consider a Radeon VII, but they are building collectible value, because of rarity, so the value equation doesn't work, for me. If you see a Radeon VII, in the same price range as an RX 580, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Cards being sold for parts might sell for that, but typically not working cards.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024
If you're talking about graphics cards in general that can be purchased for around $150, I think that statement is incorrect. For about $100-200 a used GTX 1070 or 1080, and whatever sub-model, has a higher benchmark than the RX 580. Not an SFF size, of course, but they're all PCIE 3.0 being older hardware.

I purchased my GTX 1070 OC for about $100 last year, it still runs pretty well even though it has broken fans and the thermal pads were never changed. It's probably just someone's mining equipment they were getting rid of, but I think it was a great deal for the price.

I also don't trust those kinds of unknown brands, I couldn't say if they're any better or worse than a large company or buying used items but I would rather spend the extra dollar on something that was branded by a company known to a wider amount of people, such as MSI.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
RX 5600 XT is faster than RX 580, and can be found used, at the same price point.

I wouldn't trust used Polaris cards, at this point, because a lot of them are going to be coming from mining farms, especially if the seller is located in China. Chinese sellers tend to have multiple listings for similar cards, so it's pretty much a dead giveaway, that they are breaking up a mining farm.

A Vega 56/64 card may also be an option. I don't see these being sold in bulk quanties, like RX580/590 cards.

If you have more money, you can also consider a Radeon VII, but they are building collectible value, because of rarity, so the value equation doesn't work, for me. If you see a Radeon VII, in the same price range as an RX 580, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Cards being sold for parts might sell for that, but typically not working cards.

If you're talking about graphics cards in general that can be purchased for around $150, I think that statement is incorrect. For about $100-200 a used GTX 1070 or 1080, and whatever sub-model, has a higher benchmark than the RX 580. Not an SFF size, of course, but they're all PCIE 3.0 being older hardware.

I purchased my GTX 1070 OC for about $100 last year, it still runs pretty well even though it has broken fans and the thermal pads were never changed. It's probably just someone's mining equipment they were getting rid of, but I think it was a great deal for the price.

I also don't trust those kinds of unknown brands, I couldn't say if they're any better or worse than a large company or buying used items but I would rather spend the extra dollar on something that was branded by a company known to a wider amount of people, such as MSI.

I agree whole heartedly if we're taking into account the used market, you can find some great deals out there. I've picked up three Vega 56's in the past month for an average of 80 bucks each. If you flash it with a Vega 64 bios and tune it a bit those cards will put up a decent fight against an RTX 3060 or RX 6600 XT. But that screenshot is for new prices at Microcenter hah, there aren't any NEW cards around that price range that I would consider as well rounded. Which is insane considering that its essenially a card that was released 8 years ago in the form of the RX 480.

Mar 25, 2024
Yes, I understand what you mean. That specific RX 580 is currently sold out at Microcenter and an Intel A580 is the cheapest card available there.

My problem with Microcenter is that half or more of the graphics cards listed are in-store only and the store is 2 hours away in a major city. I can't see the reason to risk my life for a $200 piece of plastic and I would rather pay a few dollars more in price to have it shipped to me unless it being sold was locally.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Really depends on your proximity. For me it is about a 30 minute drive.

Microcenter's deals often only make practical sense when you are buying many components. And they do price match. So a single trip can net you the sales from multiple retailers.

My most recent trip was to pick up a decent Samsung 1TB drive they had on sale, I believe it was $20 under everyone else. And a price match for a mouse I wanted. Their list price, 139.99. Everyone else 89.99.