Question Graphics randomly stopped working

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
My graphics card randomly stopped working this morning while I was using my PC. My setup is an ASUS Strix motherboard with a Ryzen 9 CPU, and a GTX1060 graphcs card, with two monitors. While I was in the middle of something, both monitors suddely went blank, showing "no signal", although the PC seemed to still be running. I tried a hard restart, but the monitors remained apparently disconnected, not showing the boot logo or even flickering on and off at boot.

I have an old radeon graphcs card (The motherboard VGA LED is on, so it seems the motherboard knows there is some problem, but I can't figure out what. I have an old radeon graphics card lying around, so I popped that in (into a different PCIe slot, and using a different power connector) and removed the GTX, but it made no difference.

Just in case, I also tried resetting my CMOS, but no luck with that either.

What is odd is that it seem that it's not working with 2 different card, 2 different monitors, and 2 different PCIe slots. The VGA LED on the motherboard is lighting up, but that's just telling me what I already know. Does anyone have any suggestions?

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
always better to have a CPU with iGPU just for these types of situations.

include your complete system specs.
make sure to include power supply make & model + it's time in use.
Yeah... Bit late now though.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-F
Ryzen 9 3900
2 x Klevv 16GB 2666MHz
Corsair TX650 PSU
Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb

Most of it is about 3 years old, but I can't remember if I replaced the PSU at that time or if it is still the one had previously (from about 10 years ago).

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Just put it all back together to prepare to take to a friends house to try swap out components, and suddenly it's working!

So I guess my question now is how do I figure out which component is starting to fail?

Corsair TX650 PSU...can't remember if I replaced the PSU at that time or if it is still the one had previously (from about 10 years ago)
the older TX units that i've come across were fairly low quality and not intended for any sort of high performance/gaming systems.

newest versions are a totally different design and actually fairly high quality.

if you have the packaging or manual check for model reference numbers and include a complete unit reference name.

if it is an older model and may be malfunctioning i wouldn't risk my components by continuing to use this PSU.

my question now is how do I figure out which component is starting to fail?
one, usually easy, way to check components is to have a local shop diagnose the system for you.
a reputable shop should be able to individually test each and hopefully let you know for sure which is the culprit.

When I search that psu I keep getting things saying there’s a newer version of the item. So I think I’d consider starting off there. Even if it’s working, at least you’ll have peace of mind knowing that’s not the issue if you have to jump deeper into things.

For down the road after you get that figured out if this is a gaming box and you ever decide to upgrade gpu, a ryzen 5000 cpu wouldn’t cost a lot and I bet the 3900x would still get you at least $100 bucks.

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for all the advice. It happened again this morning, so I'm going to go out and get a new PSU today if I can find one. Any recommendations? Or recommendations of what to avoid?

aquavitae

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
So I ended up replacing it with a decent looking DeepCool PX850G PSU, but the problem hsn't gone away. I'm guessing the only other option is my motherboard? It still seems very unlikely that it is both graphics cards.