Question Does anyone have a quick process they use when cleaning out storage drives every once in a long while?

KiruseiNagisa

Reputable
Apr 28, 2020
Once every year I like to clean out my storage drives by wiping them completely of data and doing a fresh install of windows just to keep my system in top shape storage-side and getting rid of any potential viruses. It becomes a pretty long process and usually I commit a day to doing this, though every time I do this process I wonder if there's a more convenient way than having to move important files to a separate drive and wait hours for that to complete. Then another hour installing windows, and even more time updating drivers and moving files back into my system.

USAFRet

Titan
If you're committed to doing a full wipe and reinstall, there is no real shortcut.
Have all your personal docs on some other drive.

For a lot of basic application installs, ninite.com.
Select, download a small exe, run it and it installs all those applications.

Further, you can create a Day 1 full drive image.
Macrium Reflect is good for this.
Save this Image after you've done a full OS install, installed all your drivers, run all the OS updates, and installed your base load of applications.

This is a representation of the eitire contents of the drive.

When you want, recover that Image.
Your system will be exactly as it was the day you created that Image.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i like to keep all my data on a separate drive. so when i do a fresh install, it is only windows and programs i have to reload. all my data just stays where it is and i don't have to worry about it.

other time saver would be to back-up any programs you can such as games. steam and the others allow you to save the files elsewhere and then just move em back. this saves the download time when you're ready to reload them.

otherwise the rest of the time you can't avoid.