[SOLVED] Does anyone know what is this sound when computer goes under load (heating) and vice versa (cooling)?

MLLapan1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
My PC is like this:
z490-plus
i7 10700k
nvidia rtx 2060 super
Two SSDs samsung

When I am starting Call of Duty, exactly when enter the game with graphic use (multiplayer), than there is a guy walking with rifle so it uses PC, fans go faster too.
I noticed one sound that is always there when I just enter the game (under load, heating) and also when PC is about to enter very cool state (cooling), this sound will repeat like 5 to 7 times too.
You can hear the sound on 18th second of my recording: https://vocaroo.com/1mvWYV6OLr0b

I caught it when I start Call of Duty game and enter multiplayer screen, but this sound would repeat itself 5. to 7. times when PC is going to cool state too.
I recorded with phone, it did catch this crackle very well, but I have to say there is also accompanying sound that goes Wuuum (low frequency sound so the phone did not catch it well, but it can be heard if listened carefully).

Yesterday I listened by ear if it is PSU, but seems it is not, nor that are the case fans.
Now I wonder if someone experienced this and is this SSD under load, or could it be Graphic Card is going under load state and wuuuming and crackling to turn up fan into higher speed, although I do not udnerstand why it does this 5. to 7. times when PC is going into cool state.
This is probably something normal, but I really wonder what is actually happening and why.

Solution
Hi, CountMike.
Thanks for the answer.
Here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-fan-speed-pulsing-and-grinding-noise.3717877/ I found same problem guy had, than I openned links he put and it is like common for RTX cards to have grinding fans noise bellow like 33% fan speed.
In my case it is the left fan, I downloaded GPU TWEAK 3, as my card is Asus Dual RTX 2060 Super, there I can control fan speeds and I noticed if I put low fan speed at left fan, it will do grinding noise for some reason.
People recommend to put minimal 33% for fans speed to avoid this.
Can I put 33% in BIOS, is there setting for that in BIOS?

I will rather have it always set in BIOS than to think about it once I reinstalled OS or whatever.
MB...

MLLapan1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
Ok, I might found what it is.
In HW Monitor that I have GPU Fan #0 and GPU Fan #1.
When it is cooling it comes to like...
  • 900+ RPM on GPU Fan #0 than crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #0
  • 900+ RPM on GPU Fan #1 than crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #1 too
  • Crackles goes to like 700+ RPM for GPU Fan #0
  • Crackles goes to like 700+ RPM for GPU Fan #1 too
  • Crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #0
  • Crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #1 too

Happens until fan finally stops.
So, is this normal behaviour for GPU fan?
I mean I know it does not work when GPU does not reach certain temperature, but when colling down is it normal that it's like switching fan on and off many times until it realizes temperature is ok to turn fan off?

Ok, I might found what it is.
In HW Monitor that I have GPU Fan #0 and GPU Fan #1.
When it is cooling it comes to like...
  • 900+ RPM on GPU Fan #0 than crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #0
  • 900+ RPM on GPU Fan #1 than crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #1 too
  • Crackles goes to like 700+ RPM for GPU Fan #0
  • Crackles goes to like 700+ RPM for GPU Fan #1 too
  • Crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #0
  • Crackles goes to 0RPM for GPU Fan #1 too
Happens until fan finally stops.
So, is this normal behaviour for GPU fan?
I mean I know it does not work when GPU does not reach certain temperature, but when colling down is it normal that it's like switching fan on and off many times until it realizes temperature is ok to turn fan off?
No, it's not normal, transition should be smooth. See if you can adjust speeds with MSI Afterburner.

MLLapan1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
No, it's not normal, transition should be smooth. See if you can adjust speeds with MSI Afterburner.
Hi, CountMike.
Thanks for the answer.
Here https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-fan-speed-pulsing-and-grinding-noise.3717877/ I found same problem guy had, than I openned links he put and it is like common for RTX cards to have grinding fans noise bellow like 33% fan speed.
In my case it is the left fan, I downloaded GPU TWEAK 3, as my card is Asus Dual RTX 2060 Super, there I can control fan speeds and I noticed if I put low fan speed at left fan, it will do grinding noise for some reason.

I will rather have it always set in BIOS than to think about it once I reinstalled OS or whatever.

Hi, CountMike.
Thanks for the answer.

MB BIOS has nothing to do with GPU settings, can't change GPU fan speeds from there. GPU has own BIOS but it's not reachable same way, only way is to flash a modified BIOS in it.
Only practical way is to use appropriate SW that works thru GPU drivers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS