[SOLVED] Does ASROCK B450 Pro4 support 16gb DDR4 3200mhz ?

Apr 24, 2020
So guys im building a my first gaming pc and i got the ASROCK B450 Pro4 mainboard Ryzen 5 2600x
And Crosair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz
On the box of the mother board it says it supports that but a paper inside the box says with a pinnacle ridge ryzen CPU it supports up to 2933 in 4 slots
If this motherboard doesn’t give the full 3200mhz ram potential im gonna have to replace it before starting the build

Solution
So guys im building a my first gaming pc and i got the ASROCK B450 Pro4 mainboard Ryzen 5 2600x
On the box of the mother board it says it supports that but a paper inside the box says with a pinnacle ridge ryzen CPU it supports up to 2933 in 4 slots
If this motherboard doesn’t give the full 3200mhz ram potential im gonna have to replace it before starting the build
Ryzen 2000 CPU memory controller only officially support up to 2933 memory. So 3200Mhz is overclocking, and therefore hard to guarantee.

Ryzen 3000 CPU's, which work in the Pro 4 with right BIOS, do support up to 3200Mhz.

Any B450 motherboard I'm aware of does not use a topology for high speed memory to 4 DIMM's. That's why...
Ryzen 2000 CPU memory controller only officially support up to 2933 memory. So 3200Mhz is overclocking, and therefore hard to guarantee.

Ryzen 3000 CPU's, which work in the Pro 4 with right BIOS, do support up to 3200Mhz.

Any B450 motherboard I'm aware of does not use a topology for high speed memory to 4 DIMM's. That's why everyone operates in a 2 DIMM configuration when overclocking memory. You could consult your manual and I would imagine it will show max memory speed dropping from 2933 for 2 DIMM's to 2666 or even 2400 for 4 DIMM's.

So again, nothing is guaranteed. You'll have to take what you can get.

Solution
Apr 24, 2020

Any B450 motherboard I'm aware of does not use a topology for high speed memory to 4 DIMM's. That's why everyone operates in a 2 DIMM configuration when overclocking memory. You could consult your manual and I would imagine it will show max memory speed dropping from 2933 for 2 DIMM's to 2666 or even 2400 for 4 DIMM's. So again, nothing is guaranteed. You'll have to take what you can get.
Thanks for the fast reply i forgot to mention the 16gb is 2x8gb

Thanks for the fast reply i forgot to mention the 16gb is 2x8gb
All that does is improve your odds as your CPU is still only rated to 2933. Later BIOS's, one with AGESA 1006 in particulare, do help with memory compatibility. But get the highest quality RAM, be ready to manually load timings and DRAM voltage, and use the Ryzen DRAM Calculator to calculate custom timings is the best way to get the highest clock speeds.

You can also check the motherboard's support page for DRAM on that they've qualified. But it's hardly inclusive of everything that could work and you may have a very difficult time finding exactly what they have listed. And in the end: when overclocking memory you are at the mercy of your specific CPU's MMU silicon quality.