Question Does Asus Rog Strix 4070Ti OC with 300W 12VHPWR work ?

Sep 13, 2023
Hi everyone,

I purchased Thermaltake 850W Toughpower GF3 GEN5 ATX 3.0 power supply. My graphics card is Rog Strix 4070Ti OC. There is a 300W 12VHPWR cable inside the power supply, but I have a question. When I looked at other 12VHPWR cable and video card connections on the internet, I saw that they were all 600W. What comes out of mine is 300W. Will this value be sufficient for my graphics card? Or should I make the connection with the cable coming from the graphics card box?

Thank you for the replies.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Yes.

The 4070TI had TDP of 300 watt. The PCIE slot provides 75 watts of power.

I personally prefer the native Powe supply cable a NOT splitters.

Most everything I say says that 300W Rating is wrong and its really 600watts or 450 watts.

No matter since your card pullss less than 375 watts anyway.

I have the 4070TI Strix non OC. Great cards.

Sep 13, 2023
Yes.

The 4070TI had TDP of 300 watt. The PCIE slot provides 75 watts of power.

I personally prefer the native Powe supply cable a NOT splitters.

Most everything I say says that 300W Rating is wrong and its really 600watts or 450 watts.

No matter since your card pullss less than 375 watts anyway.

I have the 4070TI Strix non OC. Great cards.
I couldn't quite understand what you meant by the Third Sentence. Do you prefer the splitter cable that comes in the graphics card box or the ATX 3.0 cable?

Seems the power supply vendors are cheating again. I thought the atx 3.0 standard fixed all this but your question got me looking and I find we have lots of fine print AGAIN rather than something we can depend on.

It seems the cable themselves can carry the 600 watts since that is related to the wire size and from what I can tell that is actually specified. What gets messy is the power supply itself can choose to not provide the full 600 watts even when the physical cable can handle it.

More the issue would be why you can make a 850 watt power supply and then hook a cable to in that in theory could draw 600 watts and even more on a surge. If all I do is disclaim it in the fine print can I make a 250 watt power supply call it atx3.0 and in the fine print just say the 12vhpwr cable can only do 150 watts.

In either case you are not going have issues with a 4070 since it will not use over 300 watts. Most 4070 could run on 2 of the more common 6+2 video power cables but no card actually uses those.

Reactions: baldyistaken

sonofjesse

Distinguished
native cable (12vhpwr (16 pin) is my preference and NOT the splitters that come in the GPU BOX.

Why split when you can have a direct cable from end to end?

Just my .02 cents.

I use the Corsair 12vhpwr cable on my 4070TI. I pull under 300 watts on that card while gaming. You will have ZERO issues.

Sep 13, 2023
native cable (12vhpwr (16 pin) is my preference and NOT the splitters that come in the GPU BOX.

Why split when you can have a direct cable from end to end?

Just my .02 cents.

I use the Corsair 12vhpwr cable on my 4070TI. I pull under 300 watts on that card while gaming. You will have ZERO issues.
What is the wattage of your power supply?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I have the Corsair HXI 1000 watt. I got it back in 2016 and still going strong. I always suggest oversizing the power supply, so you can use it though several builds.

The 4070TI don't pull a lot of power so you can get by with much lower than 1000 watt.

Reactions: baldyistaken
Sep 13, 2023
I've just completed the setup. Now system is running with no issues. I've connected the GPU with 300W 12VHPWR cable. Thank you all for your replies.

Reactions: sonofjesse

TRENDING THREADS