Does better cpu give you higher fps ?

SnowBallYT

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
So I see loads of benchmarks that show how cpus are very close to each other and it might not be worth getting i7 when you have settings cranked up as it uses mostly gpu . But the question is , does having a better cpu allow you to lower settings and get very high fps ? For example in GTA 5 I want to have very high fps on i5 6400 and Rx 580 but lowering settings doesn't increase my fps because it's a CPU bottleneck so I still get around 80fps . Meanwhile people with 1050ti and i7 can get 100fps . So if I have a decent GPU and VERY good CPU can I just lower the settings all the way down and get like 150fps because GPU doesn't do much work ?

Solution
Yes lowering the settings allow the GPU to crank out frames faster. A better CPU allows that number to go higher as well because you artificially created a CPU bottleneck. How much you get is another question. You may get from 80 to 150 or you may just get another 10FPS. It is a question of how much power your CPU has and how much you upgrade it in comparison. An i7 6700K won't net you as much as a i7 9700K for example.
depends.

Some games are more reliant on gpu, while others cpu.

so it isnt a 1 thing fits all solution.

if you ARE hitting CPU bottleneck then ofc getting a better one will give you better performance. (performance increase is variable as depends on how much of a bottlneck you are having)

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Yes lowering the settings allow the GPU to crank out frames faster. A better CPU allows that number to go higher as well because you artificially created a CPU bottleneck. How much you get is another question. You may get from 80 to 150 or you may just get another 10FPS. It is a question of how much power your CPU has and how much you upgrade it in comparison. An i7 6700K won't net you as much as a i7 9700K for example.

Solution
Also, it's worth pointing out that unless you have a high-refresh rate screen, like 144Hz, your monitor won't be able to display those additional frames anyway. A 60Hz screen only updates its image 60 times per second, for example. Higher frame rates can potentially smooth out frame pacing a bit, but motion won't look much smoother unless your monitor can actually display those additional frames.