Does changing settings in Nvidia Control panel override games?

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the Nvidia control panel that says something like "let the 3d app decide." If that is selected, then the game settings will override the Nvidia settings. Otherwise, the Nvidia settings should be the ones used.

Not always, some games resist external Vsync for instance. This is why Nvidia Inspector has an option to Force On, or Force Off Vsync.

Anyone that uses an Nvidia GPU really ought to be using Nvidia Inspector. It has driver level tweaks for pretty much all games

I've never heard of Nvidia Inspector. I just did a search for it. I don't think I need yet another GPU application. There are a few things on it that are interesting though.

There really isn't a way to know for sure. I would say that the game settings that are specific to the game probably are set within the game. But other more broad things are set either at Windows display or Nvidia Control panel. For example, resolution and refresh rates would be set outside of the game.

Yet you've never heard of it, and never tried it, so how would you know? It mostly helps with SLI profiles, but there's quite a lot else it can do. It worked wonders for me on Wolfenstein 2 with a single GPU. It can be a godsend for badly coded games.

One of the best things about it IMO is you can use it's "Power management" setting in any game profile to choose "Prefer maximum performance". This is better than setting Windows Power Plan to High Performance globally because it automatically sets Windows back to Balanced power plan after exiting the game, which means you don't have to run your CPU at full clock speed 24/7. It's great for those of us whom have no AC in hot summer weather, plus saves wear and tear on the CPU.

I had not heard of it. Although it has Nvidia in the description, it doesn't have anything to do with Nvidia.

I already have several GPU applications, that is why I don't need another one. What I liked about it was that it had a concise view of the GPU overclock settings.

LOL, that is funny, you say you use "several" GPU apps, but when one of the best ones is mentioned, suddenly you balk because it's not made by Nvidia.

It doesn't matter whom makes it, but it's Orbmu2K out of Germany, just so ya know. I have a feeling W1zzard from TechPowerUp whom makes CPU-Z and GPU-Z may be involved though, because he's from Germany too and the initial GUI looks strikingly similar to his tools. Omega drivers weren't an actual AMD or Nvidia product either, they were a result of Angel Trinidad carefully streamlining and reconstructing the original drivers, and they were quite sought after when the stock ones yielded poor performance.

Anyways, it's your prerogative to choose 3rd party apps based on superficial things. I'll continue to judge them on what matters most, performance.

And why do you care one way or the other? Usually when someone does the hard sell like yourself there is an ulterior motive. The whole thing sounds shady to me.

And just for the record there is one app from Nvidia on my system Control Panel. Good luck selling your app. You really hit it out of the park.

I'm not "selling it", just stating the facts for those unaware of it. Have you forgotten this is a help forum or something? Most avid Nvidia users know well of it though. I care because I'm one of those whom actually gives a damn whether people get accurate, useful info when seeking help here, which is while I'll defend tools that work well against someone passing them off as trivial. It's not for your benefit at that point, but OP's, since you've already thumbed your nose at it. I could just as easily say that's none of your biz.

LOL, NCP, is nothing compared to NI. Have fun playing with your limited tool set.