Does Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro work under Win 8

cemploy93

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi.

I am thinking of building another computer and using Windows 8 for the operating system.

I am going to install either a DVD or BluRay player.

I have an extra, unopened retail package of WinDVD Pro 2010.

I want to know if, since the box states it is compatible with Windows 7, will it work in Windows 8?

Thank you.

JW

Solution
I just tried installing Win DVD 2010 Sunday night as I noticed Windows 8 Pro didn't have a DVD player anymore.
It installed OK, but when I try to launch the program it doesn't do anything (not even an error message or splash screen).

I then uninstalled and tried installing the newer WinDVD 11 Pro. That actually started and I could select a video file to play, but it only seemed to play for about 1/10 second before automatically stopping.

Corel do have a Windows 8 compatibility page and WinDVD is not on it.

Current Corel products that run on Windows 8*:
AfterShot™ Pro
CorelDRAW® Essentials X6
CorelDRAW® Graphics Suite X6
CorelDRAW® Home & Student Suite X6
CorelCAD™
Corel® Office
MotionStudio 3D™
Painter™ 12
Painter...

cemploy93

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

I did.

I checked their FAQ's, forums, and various links, and I didn't find any references regarding Windows 8.

I have submitted a request for information.

It was received, and they replied that they will contact me later.

I am a registered user of their older (XP, 98), products, which work fairly well in the corresponding computers.

My other machines include five that are running Vista Ultimate.

I have not needed to purchase after-market DVD software for some time.

I would think that the WinDVD Pro 2010 should work, but I don't want to install the software without a little more data.

I still have another machine that I can install a BD reader in, I just haven't really needed one yet.

BD movie prices are dropping to those of some DVD's, and the readers are more affordable as well.

Thanks for responding.

JW

Hi :)

By the way you realise most Dvd software will NOT read BR`s ....

If you are buying a BR , make sure you buy retail WITH software (NOT OEM) as none of the free BR software works ...

All the best Brett :)

cemploy93

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi.

Thank you for responding.

Corel's WinDVD Pro 2010 is, according to the box, "The world's #1 Blu-ray & DVD playback software".

It states, on a side panel of the carton, that it is certified for Vista, compatible with Windows 7, and works with XP.

I had bought it, a long time back, to watch Blu-ray & DVD discs on a computer I was building, before I learned that Vista Ultimate I installed, using Windows Media Center, would play DVD's without any additional software.

All I needed to do was install an internal DVD drive, or plug in a USB DVD drive.

Both techniques work well enough to play the movies I now own.

I didn't buy a Blu-ray drive, after reading about various problems, but I am considering it now.

An OEM or bare drive should be okay, as long as the software does what it claims to do.

I just want to know about any potential Windows 8 issues.

Thank you.

JW

harmonyinfo

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I just tried installing Win DVD 2010 Sunday night as I noticed Windows 8 Pro didn't have a DVD player anymore.
It installed OK, but when I try to launch the program it doesn't do anything (not even an error message or splash screen).

I then uninstalled and tried installing the newer WinDVD 11 Pro. That actually started and I could select a video file to play, but it only seemed to play for about 1/10 second before automatically stopping.

Corel do have a Windows 8 compatibility page and WinDVD is not on it.

Current Corel products that run on Windows 8*:
AfterShot™ Pro
CorelDRAW® Essentials X6
CorelDRAW® Graphics Suite X6
CorelDRAW® Home & Student Suite X6
CorelCAD™
Corel® Office
MotionStudio 3D™
Painter™ 12
Painter Lite™
PaintShop™ Pro X4
PaintShop™ Pro X4 Ultimate
PaintShop® Pro X5
PaintShop® Pro X5 Ultimate
PDF Fusion™
Photo & Video Bundle X4
Photo & Video Suite X5
Pinnacle Studio™ 14
Pinnacle Studio™ 15 series
Pinnacle Studio™ 16 series
Roxio® Creator™ NXT
Roxio® Creator™ NXT Pro
Roxio® Easy Video Copy & Convert 5
Roxio® Game Capture HD Pro
Roxio® VHS to DVD 3
VideoStudio® Pro X5
VideoStudio® Pro X5 Ultimate
WinZip® 17
WordPerfect® Office X6

Solution

cemploy93

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Thank you for responding.

I had contacted Corel customer support, and received the response below:

"Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support. We apologize that WinDVD Pro 11 isn't compatible yet with Windows 8. But what I can do is that I can forward your concern to our engineers but we can't guarantee if they would be able to develop a compatibility patch for the program.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions."

Interesting, that Windows 7 will run these programs, but 8 will not.

No big deal I still have lcences for XP and Vista Ultimate I haven't used yet.

sMedio

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Hello cemploy93 and all,

If you are looking for Windows 8 support for DVD and Blu-ray, try out our new version of sMedio WinDVD Pro 11 for Windows 8 (version 11.5.0.43).

Wondering who we are, ...
we are the authorized licensee of Corel WinDVD. See the Press news here, http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/corel-and-smedio-reach-definitive-agreement-for-licensing-and-distribution-of-windvd-174612951.html

The new version of WinDVD added the support for Windows 8 and also substantially improved the graphics support from Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD.

We are currently running a special promotion for WinDVD Pro 11 for $49.99, give it a try and let us know what you think.

More Product Information:
http://www.smedioinc.com/products/windvd/

14-Days Full Feature Trial Version:
http://download.smedioinc.com/Download/WinDVD/sMedioWinDVDTrialVer11.5.0.43_Setup.exe

Reviewer's Guide
http://smedioinc.com/docs/sMedio-windvd-Reviewers-Guide.pdf

If you are looking for DVD playback only, we also offer WinDVD Standard version for $39.99
http://smedioinc.com/products/windvd-std/

Sincerely Yours,
Ted S.
sMedio Software Team
**sMedio WinDVD is developed and sold under authorized license of Corel Corp.

schabelf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

schabelf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Just like the last Corel version of WinDVD pro, the sMedio version is having problems with some newer Blu-Ray disks specifically 20th century Fox titles Skyfall and Life of Pi. The intro 20 Century Fox clip plays for about 8 seconds, then freezes and never progress to the little Fox logo in the center of the screen or the menus. There does not seem to be any method to check for updates within sMedia WinDVD or on their webpage. The one feature a Player software company has to maintain is compatibility with all current releases. This problem with these disks is strange because they play on the same computer and drive with a very old version of PowerDVD.