Does Dell XPS 9100 support ssd hd's?

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I want to ntsall a Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB SATA 2.5-Inch SATA III Solid State Drive (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK)

Into This Dell XPS 9100 ( POS) will It work?. I want to use tha t for my OS N Progs and a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA

III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX for storage.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Dell Support is Ueless!!!

Thank You

Solution
Only the SSD and optical Drive, not other regular HDD (if you have two optical Drive and make sure which one for the boot drive). You don't have to strip other like sound card or something like that.

I don't have the XPS 9100, but my friend has. My first PC is XPS 410, and I had to replace the MB within 2 months because the MB is death, and it gone later. So I start to build my own PC, because the oem PC is s.....
Your PC has the intel X58 motherboard with the SATAII ports, so it will work fine with the SSD. So the SSD works at the SATAII type performance but you will not notice the difference between the SATAII and SATAIII in real world usage.

When you install the OS into the SSD you need connect the SSD and CD/DVD only, go to the BIOS>Advanced Chipset Features to check the SATA Mode is ahci (by deault). After finish the OS installation, connect the regular HDD or other hardwares. Check the Useful SSD Articles - Part 2 for detail to Tweaks / Optimization SSD.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Thank You Very Much Cin

I really appreciate the knowledge!!!

Sincerely<

Lefty666 :hello:

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Hiy Cin19

Thanks for the advice on the SSD. I cheked the bios n it is set to achi by (default). tha's kool. I'm about to make my first build but can't swing it cash wise rite now. so I'm trying? to get the best I can out of this Dell XPS 9100 with an I7 930 2.8 ghz.
If you have one , you know it's a nightmare trying to OC it.

So my question is..........You said to just have 1 of my 2 optical Drives installed n th SSD then install th OS N Progs.

Then after installing the OS,connect the other HD and other hardwares.

Do you mean to strip this down completely and just instaal the OS n Progs with just the 1 optical Drive and the SSD drive connected?..I 'm asking you basically I shoul remove ALL other Hardware??? then intall it after The OS N Progs r on the SSD?
Or Just only have the ssd connected and not the othe mech HD?
Got Me??? I'm about to read the link you sent for me. You seem to know about This Dell so thats why i contacted you.

I hope I'm not bothering you with stupid questions. I just want to get it right!!!

I've had nothing but Problems with this POS n cant wait to build a new one.Grrrrrrrr Dell really screwed me over with this PC. It was a repalcement for an XPS 720 that they sent 6 techs out to fix it n they couldn't, so they sent me this XPS 100 REFURBISHED
Uggg I'm sooo agravated and you seem to know this PC.
So if you can help me out here,..........Strip it completely, or just dont conn the other HD?
Thank You Very Much
Sincerely,
Lefty

Only the SSD and optical Drive, not other regular HDD (if you have two optical Drive and make sure which one for the boot drive). You don't have to strip other like sound card or something like that.

I don't have the XPS 9100, but my friend has. My first PC is XPS 410, and I had to replace the MB within 2 months because the MB is death, and it gone later. So I start to build my own PC, because the oem PC is s.....

Solution

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Cin19

Thanks Cin,

That clears up ALOT lol .......i thought you wanted me to strip it bare lol

But i read the link for part 2 and it seems easy enough.

Thanks Sooooo Much for all you help!!!

Sincerely,

Lefty :sol:

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
cin19

hey cin,

I had lost allmy posts??? noob to these forum's , but i had saved your answer in my favs. TG

Anyhow, i was just gonna leave this XPS 9100 alone n just start my own new build...i dont think its worth doinhg anything witht this POS!!!

Like u said , your mobo went bad. well on my last dell it was aXPS 720C, it was an as kickin machine . But the hd failed ,then the mobo 2wice!!! then they changed the power suplly n the ram n they still couldnt get it to work.

So they sent me this POS as a reaplacement. first off its , Refurbished!! And all I got was the PC in a box with NO paperwork, so I don't even know the spec's on this.

So I c that u think I can use an SSD in here ( I checked out part 2 of what I have to do after macking sure the achi is set in the bios.. meaning setting up for the trim n the fe othe changes you have to make,

I'm just wondering< is it worth putting that in her?? I mean as soon as possible, I'm going to make my own build, ( in a few months) so u think i should just wait?? Because everything I add to this just seems to creatye mor probs???

I appreciate your knowledge about this 9100 , cause like i said , i got no spec sheet in the box, its refurbished, and Dell support is non existant ....unless you speak Hindi.

I might just put in a new 2 TB Seagate Barracuda.......only $79 bucks on Amazon, until i start my own build.

Any Thoughts??I really like your answers you have for me, so i'll def take your advice!!!

Thanks Again Sooo Very Much for all your help!!!

Sincerely,

lefty666

If You would like to c what I have plaanned for my new build, I would love for you to take a look at it and if you have any advice, that would be awsome!!!

Please let me know. You can PM me or just reply

like I said ....I',m a noob and need some help

Thanks for listening and the help!!!

Lefty666/Joe

TexasTea

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
@Lefty666 and others considering an XPS 410 or Dimension 9200 upgrade...

Both the XPS 410 and Dimension 9200 support newer hardware such as SSD drives, XMS DDR2 800 Mhz memory and PCIe 3.0 graphics cards.

Yes, they also support 8GB memory with the latest BIOS update available from the Dell Support Website. You may want to update the BIOS before you try to install anything.

The aforementioned models also support Windows 7 64bit Operating System. You will lose your sound driver however. You can download a compatible Sigma Tel HD audio driver from HP Support Website that works just fine with Windows 7.

Of course, you will not have the PCIe 3.0 features when using such a graphics card, however you can use them up to the limit of your Power Supply. A graphics card as humble as the Radeon HD 7770 (great mid range graphics) works just fine on stock power supply. Be careful what graphics card you select though, as the older ones draw too much power for the original Power Supply.

You can also upgrade the original processor to as high as QX6800.

How do I know this? I have done it and all works flawlessly.

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Ty Texas Tea
I decided not to use an SD in this POS. I have nothing but problems with it. I got it as a Repalcement for my XPS 710 HC whiuch was an as kickin PC!
This Xps 910 is wat below what the insurance policy I had with Del. They were Suposed to cover my PC from A-Z and they didn't1
Should have known beter.
The ins policy said that It would be covered from A-Z no mater What hapened to the XPS 710 HC.
Wel, the sent 6 dif tech guys here to try n fix it. They changed the mobo 2wice, the CPU once, the PSU 2wice, the ram.everything, and stil couldn't get it up and runing?
So they seny me this XPS 910.Suposedly ,m it's a much beter PCX.acording to dell. lol what a joke.
First Of, it's Refurbished only has a 50 wat PSU, the 710 had a 1000 wat PSU
To cut it short, everythinbg on the PC they exchanged was beter, even the vid cards
I paid $2500 + for the XPS 710 HC and when I checked thge price on a BRAND NEW XPS 910 witrh what came in this model, it came out to $1300. I realy got screwed.
So thanks for your answer, I realy Apreciatew it Very Much, but decided to build my ow PC instead of puting any money into this pos.
For mr to go onto Dels website for drivers for this PC They aint even the rite drivers because they refurbished this pc and replaced parts and know the drivers dont even work! Man did I get screwed over by Dell.

But Ive klearned my leson and wil NEVER buy a PC built from a Company. I wil be building then from scratch.
Then if there is a problem, I'l deal with it acordingly. Not relying on someone that doesn't even speak english for CS.
TRhanks for your help thougfh, like I said , I Realy Do Apreciate it, But I'm not puting another peny into this thing.
Another tying they did was change my Ins Policy. lmao
They gave me the insurance policy that the person who bought this XPS 910 bought and voided out the Policy that I had purchased!
I should have taken them to court but my Lawyer said it wasn't wort it.

So TexasTea.when I get my build together, I'l shot you a PM with al the parts I pick. I have alot oicked out rite now ,but am stil doing some research and checking out some benchmark tests on a few items. Also testemonials n reviews from purchasers of some of the products I'm lokin to buyt.
I'm also geting some help from a few people in these forums. They're some realy kol people, and they realy know thier stuff.

Like I said, when I get al the parts picked out, il def send you a Build list! I'm not sinking another penny ito this. I'm gonna turn this into a server.
Thanks Again,
Lefty