[SOLVED] Does Free-Sync and G-Sync solves frame-pacing issues ?

Lukasamba

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hello, i understand how these Sync works, it eliminates tearing without big input lag cost. That is clear, i have other question, does those sync eliminate frame-pacing issue ? Because, consoles does have nearly perfect frame-pacing and you can play games with very smooth 30 fps, for example on PCs, 30 fps looks trash, so does those sync solves those problems with frame-pacing and let low fps feel way smooth, like 30 fps ?

Solution
If you're getting 45 FPS, it will alternate between 16 and 33 ms per frame on a 60 Hz monitor, whereas a FreeSync monitor will have a steady 22 ms per frame.
It's not that simple, if you have Vsync off (as I said) you'd still be running at 45 fps, you'd just have screen tearing.

Let's say you just completed a frame at the same instant your monitor refreshed, and start drawing a frame (which takes 22 ms). So the next time your monitor refreshes (16 ms later), you're still on the same frame. 6 ms into the monitor drawing that frame your GPU finishes drawing a new frame and swaps buffers. So the bottom ~2/3 of the display will be of the new frame. It wouldn't just repeat the entire first frame twice. The top 1/3 of the first...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
G/Free sync should have no impact on frame time variance, good or bad, compared to running without G/Free sync and Vsync off. If your hardware is lacking (or the game is poorly optimized) such that you're getting frame time spikes/high variance, G/Free sync isn't going to fix that.

Frame pacing has been massively improved in recent years (since Scott Wasson at TechReport came out with "inside the second" frame time analysis). That being said, it's not going to be perfect, and some games are better/worse than others. A VRR monitor isn't going to cause the GPU to render frames more smoothly, but it does help the perception since it's showing each full frame as soon as it's rendered.

G/Free sync should have no impact on frame time variance, good or bad, compared to running without G/Free sync and Vsync off. If your hardware is lacking (or the game is poorly optimized) such that you're getting frame time spikes/high variance, G/Free sync isn't going to fix that.
If you're getting 45 FPS, it will alternate between 16 and 33 ms per frame on a 60 Hz monitor, whereas a FreeSync monitor will have a steady 22 ms per frame.

Lukasamba

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
So a simple question, for example we take free-sync monitor with 30-75hz range, let say i have low/mid end pc capable of running a game ~30/35 fps, will it look smooth like on a console or it look worse than a console, but better than on a non free-sync monitor ?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's not that simple, if you have Vsync off (as I said) you'd still be running at 45 fps, you'd just have screen tearing.

Let's say you just completed a frame at the same instant your monitor refreshed, and start drawing a frame (which takes 22 ms). So the next time your monitor refreshes (16 ms later), you're still on the same frame. 6 ms into the monitor drawing that frame your GPU finishes drawing a new frame and swaps buffers. So the bottom ~2/3 of the display will be of the new frame. It wouldn't just repeat the entire first frame twice. The top 1/3 of the first frame would be displayed for 33 ms though.

With G/Freesync you'd get to see the entire 2nd frame after 22ms, not just the bottom 2/3.

Last edited:
Solution

Let's say you just completed a frame at the same instant your monitor refreshed, and start drawing a frame (which takes 22 ms). So the next time your monitor refreshes (16 ms later), you're still on the same frame. 6 ms into the monitor drawing that frame your GPU finishes drawing a new frame and swaps buffers. So the bottom ~2/3 of the display will be of the new frame. It wouldn't just repeat the entire first frame twice. The top 1/3 of the first frame would be displayed for 33 ms though.

With G/Freesync you'd get to see the entire 2nd frame after 22ms, not just the bottom 2/3.
True, I missed the V-Sync off bit you mentioned.

Reactions: TJ Hooker