[SOLVED] Does Gigabyte GA 78LMT USB3.0 supports NVMe Internal SSD?

Ghoshji

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I'm looking to replace my existing HDD to SSD on my Gigabyte (GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global ), I found the WD Blue NVMe with better response and speed over the conventional SSD (Amazon.in: Buy Western Digital WD SN550 500GB NVMe Internal SSD - 2400MB/s R, 1750MB/s W, (WDS500G2B0C, Blue) Online at Low Prices in India | Western Digital Reviews & Ratings ) , since the board I'm using is 5 years and counting, will I be able to use the hardware without a glitch?? Do I have better option in the same budget, what's the difference between old and new generation for the same hardware?

Note : My PCIEX1 slot is empty, is this the same slot to be used for the hardware?

Solution
the board I'm using is 5 years and counting, will I be able to use the hardware without a glitch??
5 years? LOL. No.
It is ~10 years old.

There's no way to use nvme (PCIE 3.0) drive at full speed.
You'd have to give up using discrete graphics card, because there would not be any available PCIE x16 slots left after adding PCIE M.2 adapter.
And nvme drive would operate at half speed, because PCIE slot is PCIE 2.0.

If you connected nvme drive to PCIE 2.0 x1 slot with raiser and adapter, then the drive would operate ~2x times slower than sata SSD.

TLDR - your system is too outdated to use nvme.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm looking to replace my existing HDD to SSD on my Gigabyte (GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0) Overview | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global ), I found the WD Blue NVMe with better response and speed over the conventional SSD (Amazon.in: Buy Western Digital WD SN550 500GB NVMe Internal SSD - 2400MB/s R, 1750MB/s W, (WDS500G2B0C, Blue) Online at Low Prices in India | Western Digital Reviews & Ratings ) , since the board I'm using is 5 years and counting, will I be able to use the hardware without a glitch?? Do I have better option in the same budget, what's the difference between old and new generation for the same hardware?

Note : My PCIEX1 slot is empty, is this the same slot to be used for the hardware?
By a SATA SSD like a Crucial MX 500 not a NVME SSD.

Reactions: Ghoshji
the board I'm using is 5 years and counting, will I be able to use the hardware without a glitch??
5 years? LOL. No.
It is ~10 years old.

You'd have to give up using discrete graphics card, because there would not be any available PCIE x16 slots left after adding PCIE M.2 adapter.

If you connected nvme drive to PCIE 2.0 x1 slot with raiser and adapter, then the drive would operate ~2x times slower than sata SSD.

Solution

Support as storage yes, as boot no. Sadly your motherboard is not AMI Uefi (i think in AM3+ it should be 900 chipsets that started to use AMI UEFI), because if your motherboard is AMI UEFI bios, i could help you making it bootable.

logainofhades

Titan
Save yourself the headache, and hassle, and just get one of these.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: SK hynix Gold S31 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: SK hynix Gold S31 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $314.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-15 10:45 EST-0500

Ghoshji

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
5 years? LOL. No.
It is ~10 years old.

Was not aware, it was a decade old! Was trying to cover up my options in case I go for a system upgrade, looks like that ain't gonna happen here.

Ghoshji

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Support as storage yes, as boot no. Sadly your motherboard is not AMI Uefi (i think in AM3+ it should be 900 chipsets that started to use AMI UEFI), because if your motherboard is AMI UEFI bios, i could help you making it bootable.
Is it a one time thing?? Most comments on the post ask me to skip the hassle and go with a SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Looks like calling NVMe better was a far fetched outcome...
Like comparing 2 cars.

Car A has a top speed of 140mph, while Car B has a top speed of 170mph.

Car B is obviously the better car, right?

The 0-60 times are within 0.1 sec.
All of your driving is on roads with a speed limit of 70mph or lower.
The vast majority of your driving is on roads with a speed limit of 45mph.

Would you pay extra for Car B, knowing that you will never ever take it to the track to see that uber speed?

Look past the marketing numbers.

Reactions: BLaQCaesar

logainofhades

Titan
So it won't effect me much even in the scenario when I get an upgrade, using SSD instead of NVMe won't do much when I have a system with better configuration.

NVME is still an SSD. The interface is what's important. Get the SATA SSD now, and transport it into your next rig. If all else, when you upgrade to a better config, get an NVME SSD boot drive, and use the SATA SSD for extra storage. What I like about NVME is the form factor. No wires to mess with, in a desktop build.

Ghoshji

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Like comparing 2 cars.

Car A has a top speed of 140mph, while Car B has a top speed of 170mph.

Car B is obviously the better car, right?

The 0-60 times are within 0.1 sec.
All of your driving is on roads with a speed limit of 70mph or lower.
The vast majority of your driving is on roads with a speed limit of 45mph.

Would you pay extra for Car B, knowing that you will never ever take it to the track to see that uber speed?

Look past the marketing numbers.
I see you explained it quite good, to the grass roots actually. Thanks for that!! Since It won't be of my use in the current scenario and to the depth as you explained I don't see getting involved to such a zone that will impact my work.

Ghoshji

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
NVME is still an SSD. The interface is what's important. Get the SATA SSD now, and transport it into your next rig. If all else, when you upgrade to a better config, get an NVME SSD boot drive, and use the SATA SSD for extra storage. What I like about NVME is the form factor. No wires to mess with, in a desktop build.
Yup gulped it all down, will give it a shot now!!