Question Does IDLE Temp of CPU Increases as it gets older?

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
I have an i5-4670k which is 6yrs old. I remember when it was new my idle temp is around 32-35. Now, I change thermal paste, cleaned the fan, radiator and my idle temp is 46-50.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
No, don't think so. I had 4690k from 2014 - 2019, and it always idled between 23-27c with evo-212 (room temp around 20c). CPU chip doesn't degrade over time however the thermal interface material between the CPU die and IHS does and dries up if it's poor quality. 4670(k) and 4770(k) did in fact had a poor quality thermal interface material.
Even your old idle temps are kind of high. Can I ask what CPU cooler you are using?

Only way to fix this is to delid the CPU and use a better quality thermal paste between the CPU die and IHS.

I used to have a 4790K, and for the approximately 5 years I had it, idle and load temperatures did not change, at least not enough to make me notice it, although I'm pretty sure I didn't see any increase at all.
I did use an aftermarket cooler though, so I can't say if the stock Intel cooler could have become less efficient due to wear on the fan bearings for example, but I doubt it to be honest.

Other factors could have played a role in the increase of the idle temps you've experienced. Both ambient room temperature, or swapping out hardware for something which creates additional heat (like the graphics card for example) that could affect the CPU cooling performance, could have contributed to the rise in temperature.

Fan speeds could be different, possibly caused by changes or updates made in BIOS. Dust build-up in case fans or dust filters (if present) could have reduced airflow. A worn out cooler perhaps

But if the CPU has been running at stock settings the entire time, and has been cleaned for dust regularly, the thermal paste is good, and no other changes has been made at all to the build, I have never personally seen the CPU temperatures increase due to CPU degredation over time, especially not over just five years timespan. That doesn't mean it is not possible, but it is not something I remember to have come across elsewhere.

But if certain hardware changes has been made, or if you've moved to a different room, ar maybe even a new town, or if ambient temperature has changed, or case airflow, or comparing to a different season in the weather, those are all potential causes for the changes to CPU operating temperatures

If you can't think of any changes at all, I don't think can think of something else which could have caused it. So you never know - sometimes hardware behaves outside of what is usually seen or expected.

Last edited:
I think mine is faulty. I am just using Chrome and CPU usage jumps to 30% and temp is going 50 already.
What cpu cooler? Intel stock model?
Did you reset push pins after changing thermal paste?

resettingpushpins4.jpg

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

Owsow

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
AIOs aren't any different really.
Air cooler - the stronger coolers have larger heatsinks, which sit over the cpu socket.
AIOs basically take that heatsink(rad), and relocate it.
I am aware of that. It is just that I don't like how air cooler looks, it is so bulky.

So this is the only confirmation( high idle temp) that my AIO is defective right?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am aware of that. It is just that I don't like how air cooler looks, it is so bulky.

So this is the only confirmation( high idle temp) that my AIO is defective right?
There's one other method:
Open the side panel while the PC is running, feel the cpu block, tubing, and the radiator. All 4 should feel warm to the touch.
If the cpu block is significantly warm compared to the others, then there's definitely a problem with circulation.

Brian Kong

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
I have the same AIO, cooling a Ryzen5 3600 @ stock idle at 80c peak at 98c (according to HWINFO64). The pump is running(soft vibration while running when touching the CPU block area), but only the water out pipe is hot, CPU block is slightly warm and the radiator and the input pipe remains cold(room temperature). I have it for 15months.

I have the same AIO, cooling a Ryzen5 3600 @ stock idle at 80c peak at 98c (according to HWINFO64). The pump is running(soft vibration while running when touching the CPU block area), but only the water out pipe is hot, CPU block is slightly warm and the radiator and the input pipe remains cold(room temperature). I have it for 15months.
Replace it.
Or clean it, if you're up to it.