[SOLVED] Does it depend on if the motherboard supports quad channel or the cpu.

Jun 6, 2020
I've been looking at pc's and the 9900k but I also want quad channel memory in my rig but I don't know if quad channel memory support relies on the cpu or the motherboard, I also don't have the pc yet its prebuilt, and I don't know what the motherboard it but I'm looking to install quad channel memory in it.

Solution
Quad channel systems use a different motherboard and cpu socket. FCLGA2066, ie 10900x, on a x299 motherboard with eight dimm slots.

Non X series, 9900k, uses socket 1151 and the lack of pins restrict it to dual channel.

Dual channel is perfectly fine for gaming and streaming.

What's your purpose for the system? If it's just for gaming/streaming, Z390 motherboard with 2x 16GB ram is plenty.
I've been looking at pc's and the 9900k but I also want quad channel memory in my rig but I don't know if quad channel memory support relies on the cpu or the motherboard, I also don't have the pc yet its prebuilt, and I don't know what the motherboard it but I'm looking to install quad channel memory in it.
If your motherboard have 4 slots then you can install 4 dimm's of ram but it will still run at dual channel (make sure that all the dimm's are the same model). There is no way you can run RAM in quad channel with a 9th gen intel CPU. You will find quad channel support to more expensive platforms.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Quad channel systems use a different motherboard and cpu socket. FCLGA2066, ie 10900x, on a x299 motherboard with eight dimm slots.

Non X series, 9900k, uses socket 1151 and the lack of pins restrict it to dual channel.

Dual channel is perfectly fine for gaming and streaming.

What's your purpose for the system? If it's just for gaming/streaming, Z390 motherboard with 2x 16GB ram is plenty.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
The CPU determines how many memory channels are supported. A 9900K will be dual channel on EVERY motherboard.
If you want more memory channels you will have to choose a different CPU.