Question Does it make sense to install SSD on 3 Gb/s SATA?

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
An old motherboard has only SATA 3 Gb/s connectors; however, with a Xeon processor and 16GB RAM the computer is running office and internet tasks at no problem (with Windows 11 22H2).

The system disk is failing.

Please let me know if it makes sense to buy a 512GB SSD drive for system and programs or I better choose a SATA-II hard disk drive with a substantially bigger capacity (especially if you choose a slightly used one, which doesn’t make sense with SSD technology) for the same money.

Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
Make sense....yes, mostly.

In a SATA II port, either a SATA III or SATA II drive will perform at SATA II speeds.

But, the main benefit of the SSD is the near zero access time. This is across all SSD types.
It will still be very much faster than an HDD.

Used HDD vs new SSD?
I wouldn't buy a used drive of any type, unless it were around $5.

Reactions: cAllen and DVS75
An old motherboard has only SATA 3 Gb/s connectors; however, with a Xeon processor and 16GB RAM the computer is running office and internet tasks at no problem (with Windows 11 22H2).

The system disk is failing.

Please let me know if it makes sense to buy a 512GB SSD drive for system and programs or I better choose a SATA-II hard disk drive with a substantially bigger capacity (especially if you choose a slightly used one, which doesn’t make sense with SSD technology) for the same money.

Thank you!
Yes....just make sure you get a ssd that's big enough to store all your stuff without filling it to the top.

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
Thank you all for advice!

I bought a 480 GB Kingston SSD today.

I also have a separate HDD for storage - documents/pictures/videos, et cetera.

I shall use the SSD only for system and programs (so far they use less than even 100 GB).

Last edited: