[SOLVED] Does it sound like my GPU is faulty ?

TiernO

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Having a weird problem with me graphics card. The screens to cut out the odd time to black and come back on and sometimes weird little things appear on the screen and go away after a second, like a cluster of pixels random places in the screen. Usually happens only when im watching a video of some sorts.

As well any game I play crashes within a minute or less of playing. Every game, even likes of Minecraft. There's no issue when doing work stuff but seems like when the gpu is made to work a bit more.

I've used ddu in safe mode and installed the drivers again, tested it with different cables, tried different ports on the gpu and no luck. Would you say its a physical problem and I'll have to send it to get fixed ? Or could it be something else like a PSU problem?

It is a Gigabyte RTX 2060 that I bought new around 6 months ago. My power supply is 750W and I have an i7 8700 with 16GB DDR4 memory @ 3000Mhz

Reactions: hanzrobomachine
Solution
Sounds like your GPU is throwing artifacts even with minimal loads.
This shouldn't be related to the PSU though. First thing you should check are temperatures during heavier loads (e.g. gaming). If that's not an issue, the problem can be related to the VRAM on board.

If there's still a warranty on that card and temps are fine, I'll advise you to RMA the card.

One more thing, can you be more specific with the PSU? Model would be more helpful to us.
This shouldn't be related to the PSU though. First thing you should check are temperatures during heavier loads (e.g. gaming). If that's not an issue, the problem can be related to the VRAM on board.

If there's still a warranty on that card and temps are fine, I'll advise you to RMA the card.

One more thing, can you be more specific with the PSU? Model would be more helpful to us.

Reactions: hanzrobomachine
Solution

TiernO

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015

Sure. The power supply is a corsair cx750M, semi modular. I ran a test using MSI Kombustor. Every test, 720, 1080 and 4K flickers like crazy and crashes if I try run it in full screen. The temps constantly rise and I closed it when it got to 66 C because I didn't want to die

Sure. The power supply is a corsair cx750M, semi modular. I ran a test using MSI Kombustor. Every test, 720, 1080 and 4K flickers like crazy and crashes if I try run it in full screen. The temps constantly rise and I closed it when it got to 66 C because I didn't want to die

66C is not even hot for a GPU... Getting over 80-85C is when things really get toasty. Don't be so worried about those temperatures... depending on the GPU cooler and your case airflow, temperatures in the range of 60-80C can be considered normal.

Can't really see how the PSU can be the problem here, sincerely... all those symptoms you mention are most likely GPU related.

I'd suggest you send it to warranty, as I don't think there's much you can do to fix it yourself.

Reactions: Krotow

TiernO

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
66C is not even hot for a GPU... Getting over 80-85C is when things really get toasty. Don't be so worried about those temperatures... depending on the GPU cooler and your case airflow, temperatures in the range of 60-80C can be considered normal.

Can't really see how the PSU can be the problem here, sincerely... all those symptoms you mention are most likely GPU related.

I'd suggest you send it to warranty, as I don't think there's much you can do to fix it yourself.

Perfect, thank you!