[SOLVED] Does M.2 SSD with PCIe Gen 3x4 is compatible with the motherboard Fatal1ty Z97x killer that has Gen 2x2 PCIe ?

Sep 15, 2020
I want to buy the Crucial P5 NVME SSD for my PC but i don't know if my motherboard is compatible with. I looked at my motherboard's specs and it says that it has gen 2x2 PCIe but i don't really know what it means.

Solution
I'll use it for gaming. My hdd does not work anymore so i wanted to buy an SSD to store my games. At the moment, i have one 250 gb SSD for W10 and apps but i wanted another for games. I chose an NVME SSD because it's slightly more expensive than SATA SSD but don't need to buy an adapter. Plus I saw on internet that NVME SSDs were much faster than SATA ones so that's the main reason i wanted to buy it. But if a regular SATA SSD has almost the same speed has an NVME SSD because of my motherboard, i think it would be better to buy a regular one from what I understood.
On that motherboard, and for that use...you'll not see any difference.
Get a SATA III SSD of appropriate size.

USAFRet

Titan
I want to buy the Crucial P5 NVME SSD for my PC but i don't know if my motherboard is compatible with. I looked at my motherboard's specs and it says that it has gen 2x2 PCIe but i don't really know what it means.
It will work.
It will be significantly "slower" than what that drive can actually do.

What do you use this system for, and specifically this drive?
Any reason to not just get a regular SATA III SSD? You probably wouldn't notice a difference.

Sep 15, 2020
I'll use it for gaming. My hdd does not work anymore so i wanted to buy an SSD to store my games. At the moment, i have one 250 gb SSD for W10 and apps but i wanted another for games. I chose an NVME SSD because it's slightly more expensive than SATA SSD but don't need to buy an adapter. Plus I saw on internet that NVME SSDs were much faster than SATA ones so that's the main reason i wanted to buy it. But if a regular SATA SSD has almost the same speed has an NVME SSD because of my motherboard, i think it would be better to buy a regular one from what I understood.

USAFRet

Titan
On that motherboard, and for that use...you'll not see any difference.
Get a SATA III SSD of appropriate size.

Reactions: Yasuraka
Solution