[SOLVED] Does max pcie lanes in a cpu include m.2 lanes as well?

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
i9 10850k says it supports max pcie lanes 1x16. Does that mean if my graphics card fills the 16 lanes, i wont be able to add a m.2 to my motherboard?

Solution
msi z590 wifi pro
The chipset its self has 24 lanes if im not mistaking, the CPU has 16, so you have 40 lanes in total, although some things will be using them lanes like built in wifi and stuff like that, you'll be fine, with just a GPU and m.2, they will performance at its fullest, and you'll have a little more lanes left for other things like another m.2 later on.
msi z590 wifi pro
The chipset its self has 24 lanes if im not mistaking, the CPU has 16, so you have 40 lanes in total, although some things will be using them lanes like built in wifi and stuff like that, you'll be fine, with just a GPU and m.2, they will performance at its fullest, and you'll have a little more lanes left for other things like another m.2 later on.

Solution

sayooyas

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
what is the difference between chipset lanes and CPU lanes?

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
what is the difference between chipset lanes and CPU lanes?
Your CPU actually has 20 lanes, just 4 of them are used to connect chipset to CPU so it's 16 usable lanes from CPU. Those 24 lanes on chipset have 4 lane worth of bandwidth because of that connection between CPU and chipset. The reason why CPU lanes are most important is because memory controller is in CPU, all data transfers are either in or out from system memory. Newer platforms have additional 4 lanes for M.2 from CPU and faster chipset<->CPU link so they can use more M.2s without bandwidth bottlenecks. Some boards can split 16 lanes so graphics card gets 8 lanes and other 8 are repurposed for additional x16 slot or M.2 slots.

Reactions: Viking2121

TRENDING THREADS