[SOLVED] Does my build have flaws?

Jan 23, 2021
Hey guys

I just built my first ever system and I want to hear you guys opinion. My intention was to have a base to host a GPU upgrade in like 2-3 years. Anyways, here are the specs. Let me know if you would change anything and if you would, leave a suggestion! Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Prism Cooler, gets a bit hot)
Nvidia RTX 3060 (Asus TUF 3 Fan)
MSI Tomahawk B550
Corsair TX650W
32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 MHz
2 x 1TB WD SN550

Solution
Prism Cooler, gets a bit hot
get a good cooler.
none of the stock coolers for AMD or Intel are adequate for any type of system that produces an above average amount of heat like high-end gaming systems, etc.
what you can fit depends on the case size.

you may also want to improve system-wide cooling if you don't have adequate airflow throughout the case.
Prism Cooler, gets a bit hot
get a good cooler.
none of the stock coolers for AMD or Intel are adequate for any type of system that produces an above average amount of heat like high-end gaming systems, etc.

you may also want to improve system-wide cooling if you don't have adequate airflow throughout the case.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
The wraith prism is fine with a 65w chip, like the 5600x. The only downside is noise. A tower cooler would be better, and quieter, but not necessary if they have a Wraith Prism. The included Wraith Stealth, I would agree shouldn't be used, unless the budget is super tight, which I don't believe this one is.

Reactions: Elounia
Jan 23, 2021
The wraith prism is fine with a 65w chip, like the 5600x. The only downside is noise. A tower cooler would be better, and quieter, but not necessary if they have a Wraith Prism. The included Wraith Stealth, I would agree shouldn't be used, unless the budget is super tight, which I don't believe this one is.

You're both right. I bought PRISM because it was cool, easy to install and almost free, because they're found in abundance.

My RAM are these (2 x 16GB however) :
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...Vengeance-PRO-RGB-White/p/CMW32GX4M4C3600C18W

Is it really bad to have CL18 with 3600 MHz?

Let's say I wanna spend 100-200$ on a cooler, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 23, 2021
get a good cooler.

Yeah my biggest regret is the NZXT H510. It doesn't really have a lot of airflow, but it was Very beginner-friendly.

logainofhades

Titan
DDR4 3600 CL18 will perform roughly the same as DDR4 3200 CL16. Also it is better to run just two sticks of ram, for 32gb, as it is less stress on the memory controller, and hitting XMP speeds can be hit or miss, with 4, on a dual channel rig. Something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($185.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $185.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-24 16:00 EDT-0400

$100 is way more than necessary for cooler. For a 5600x, this is plenty.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $29.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-24 16:03 EDT-0400

Thanks in advance!
I put an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo on mine. They're $40 USD and with some tweaking of the PBO settings, mine sits around 55C and maybe around 50% fan speed at an ambient of around 25C while playing games.

However, the case and fans largely determine how well your computer can cool itself. If you use a case that has restrictive intakes (e.g., a tempered glass or solid front panel), it's not going to provide as much cooling as one with more open intakes.

while you could fit a 240mm or 280mm AIO in the front,
due to the lack of air intake vents it probably wouldn't be the most efficient.

i would be leaning towards a be quiet! Dark Rock series.
you may need to verify which can fit in this case but the Dark Rock 4, Pro 4, & Pro TR4 are very highly rated.

or the Noctua NH-D15(chromax for black),
or if it is too tall for the case; NH-U12 or NH-U9S.
they are also highly rated.

though there are many nice cooler manufacturers available these days.

i would go with a Dark Rock cooler,
2x 140mm intakes in the front,
1x 120mm exhaust in the rear,
and 1x 140mm exhaust in the top.
11-146-315-V01.jpg

logainofhades

Titan
Make sure you get static pressure fans, for the front ones. It will help with pulling in air, through the restrictive air passages. The fans for exhaust, I would just use the ones that came with the case. These would be sufficient, for not a lot of money.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 PST CO 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P14 PST CO 72.8 CFM 140 mm Fan ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $27.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-24 17:02 EDT-0400

Jan 23, 2021
while you could fit a 240mm or 280mm AIO in the front,
due to the lack of air intake vents it probably wouldn't be the most efficient.

i would be leaning towards a be quiet! Dark Rock series.
you may need to verify which can fit in this case but the Dark Rock 4, Pro 4, & Pro TR4 are very highly rated.

or the Noctua NH-D15(chromax for black),
or if it is too tall for the case; NH-U12 or NH-U9S.
they are also highly rated.

though there are many nice cooler manufacturers available these days.

i would go with a Dark Rock cooler,
2x 140mm intakes in the front,
1x 120mm exhaust in the rear,
and 1x 140mm exhaust in the top.
11-146-315-V01.jpg
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! :)

Honestly, everything seems fine.

DDR4 3600 CL18 will perform roughly the same as DDR4 3200 CL16. Also it is better to run just two sticks of ram, for 32gb, as it is less stress on the memory controller, and hitting XMP speeds can be hit or miss, with 4, on a dual channel rig. Something like this.
3600 CL18 will tend to perform a little faster than 3200 CL16. The absolute CAS latency will be the same at 10ns, but bandwidth will be higher, which can improve performance under some workloads. And since Ryzen's Infinity Fabric will match the memory clock, there should be an additional performance improvement from that as well.

Either way, one isn't likely to see any "perceptible" performance difference moving from a kit of DDR4-3600 with 18-19-19-39 timings to DDR4-3600 with 16-18-18-38 timings. In general, relatively minor differences in RAM speed are not going to affect performance much. One would be hard-pressed to notice any difference between them. Since it sounds like they've already built this system, swapping one kit of RAM for another that will perform rather similar would not be worthwhile.

As for two sticks versus four at 32GB, if their system is running with XMP enabled at its rated speed, then it's probably not much of a concern, and plenty of gaming systems are built with fully-populated RAM slots. If they were yet to build the system, it might be worth considering, especially since 2x16GB might potentially cost a little less, but again, if the system is already built, trading parts would be pointless unless there were a problem getting the RAM to run at its rated speed. And in general, DDR4-3600 typically isn't going to be pushing the limits of Ryzen's memory controller.

I agree that a $100+ cooler would be excessive for a Ryzen 5600X though, as they are rather efficient, and don't put out a lot of heat. Unless they want something potentially a little quieter though, the Wraith Prism will likely be a fine option, and a lot better than the stock Wraith Stealth. Core temperatures might be a bit high, but that's normal for Ryzen chiplet-based designs. According to an AMD representative, they view load temperatures up to 95C as "typical and by design" for the 5600X, and the temperatures with a Prism cooler will undoubtedly be a lot lower than that...