Does my CPU support PCID?

louisj.hkp

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I wasn't signed in when I tried to ask this before, so I hope it's not a repeat. With the news of the CPU flaw in Intel processors, and the upcoming OS Kernel patch for Windows next week, I've read that CPU's that have Process-Context Identifiers will be less affected. Does anyone know how to determine if your CPU has this feature? I've done several searches on Google and Bing without any luck. Thanks!

g-unit1111

Titan
Yeah you're probably not going to find much since the news just leaked. We mods are busy trying to sort the fact from the fiction. I would keep calm and check the front page of this and other tech sites (Tom's, Anandtech, HardOCP, Guru3D, Tweak Town, etc) because we will know all the facts as they get reported. Don't trust what you hear on Google or Social Media unless it's a verified site. Right now most of what's being reported is rumors and speculation. So I would just keep an eye on the tech sites for now.

jaseearl

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

Alternatively cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pcid will tell you

schmak

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007

For windows download CoreInfo and run it in a dos window, it will tell you. I have a 2500k, 3570, 3550U, 5930k that all have PCID

Link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/coreinfo

bjf2000

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

schmak

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I am still looking for a straight answer, but it appears at this time that MSFT is only putting in PCID optimization on Haswell and newer processors, through possibly a microcode update in the January update for Meltdown. I have validated everything from Nehalem forward has PCID support, as in the first i5's and i7's, but so far the only devices we have patched that show the PCID Optimization are true are Haswell and newer.