Question Does my Lenovo Ideapad 5 15are05 15.6 support more than one SSD?

Oct 30, 2020
I've recently purchased a Lenovo Ideapad 5 that has a 128Gb ssd installed. I'd like a little more space and was wondering if I'd be able to install a second SSD drive. I've had a look around on the internet but have found mixed answers. Any way of telling for certain, other than cracking it open and having a look?

Any help would be massively helpful!

The reason you see "mixed answers" is that there may be a second drive bay depending on the battery you have. Also from the pictures the M.2 drive is not a full length one that is common but a shorter one, 2242 form.

3. Memory and storage
Unfortunately, upgradability is a bit poor. All of the memory is soldered to the motherboard, although, it works at 3200 MHz and if you get the 8GB, 12GB, or 16GB options, it will be configured in dual-channel mode. In terms of storage, there is one M.2 slot that supports PCIe x4 drives. Interestingly, if you buy the laptop with some of the smaller battery options, you’ll get a 2.5-inch SATA drive slot, as well.

Reactions: Hodsanames
Oct 30, 2020
The reason you see "mixed answers" is that there may be a second drive bay depending on the battery you have. Also from the pictures the M.2 drive is not a full length one that is common but a shorter one, 2242 form.

3. Memory and storage
Unfortunately, upgradability is a bit poor. All of the memory is soldered to the motherboard, although, it works at 3200 MHz and if you get the 8GB, 12GB, or 16GB options, it will be configured in dual-channel mode. In terms of storage, there is one M.2 slot that supports PCIe x4 drives. Interestingly, if you buy the laptop with some of the smaller battery options, you’ll get a 2.5-inch SATA drive slot, as well.

Phoned up Lenovo technical support earlier on and was told that it would handle 2 drives. The guy on the other end of the phone sounded like he had no idea what I was asking and just guessed.

Mine has the 70Wh battery. I can double the available space for under £40 though so all is not lost.

Thanks for the answer (even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for)!