Does my monitor need to be connected to my GPU?

The6MileMan

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Recently, I was having a problem where i plugged my VGA into my motherboard while my GPU was plugged up so my monitor wouldn't display anything. Currently my GPU is stuck half out of my PCI-e slot and wont budge ANY. I'm going to try and wiggle it around later and see if i can fix it up.
To use my GPU will i need to buy a dvi cable? and if so, which one?

this may be easier to understand:

My monitor is connected to my motherboard because I don't have a dvi cable.
If I plug in my GPU to the motherboard, my monitor doesn't display anything.
I assume that I have to get a dvi cable and connect my monitor to gpu.
I'm unsure what dvi cable to get. a DVI-D cable or DVI-I cable.
(monitor is dvi-d and gpu is dvi-i)

and my second issue is that when i do get the cable, im not sure what to change in the bios to make my pc use the gpu instead of the onboard graphics.

so my GPU box it says Dual - link DVI in its features but online it says Dual-link DVI-I

My monitor: HP W2072a
specs:
CPU - Intel - Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - MSI - Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory - Team - Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - MSI - GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card
Case - DIYPC - Skyline-07-R ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair - 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive - ASUS

Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Solution
On default BIOS settings, as long as motherboard detects GPU installed, it will turn integrated off, so none of motherboard display outputs will work. You either have to remove GPU, or change BIOS setting to 'iGPU first' (assuming your board allows that).

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
You might want to edit and divide this up into coherent thoughts with more details, I'm trying hard but having a hard time following...

My best guess (if I understood you correctly) is you're connecting your video out from the motherboard and not the GPU. You need to use the video out on your GPU to connect to your monitor. Sometimes you need to reboot your computer with the connection there for the card to initialize and activiate a specific port type (especially if driver is not installed). You should have nothing connected to the motherboard's video out if using a dedicated GPU.

Also i'm guessing your GPU is not fully seated in the PCIE slot? That could be a problem and you can damage both your motherboard and/or GPU if it isn't properly installed.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If I understand correctly, you're asking if you can use integrated graphics whilst your GPU is plugged in?

If i'm correct, the answer is generally no. Most setups don't allow for you to run both, nor switch between the two. Your bios will identify the GPU and disable the IG, I believe you can only have both running with some AMD APU. So in your case, no you cannot.

You have to fully engage the GPU and use only the GPU, or remove the GPU and run on integrated.

The MSI 4G GTX 960 has DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI-I compatability, so you can use any of them.

Hue____Man

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
Hey there - since your GPU is half in the PCIe slot, have you unlocked the piece of plastic at the front of the port that sticks out a bit?

anyways - I guess you would need to use the DVI - D port to output to your monitor. and the DVI cable should be a DVI - D because of the 4 boxes around the metal line on the connector. You could also use an HDMI to VGA adapter on your GPU (assuming that the GPU is plugged in correctly)
Also, sometimes when a GPU is plugged into a motherboard, it disables the motherboard's output and has to be re enabled by removing the GPU or digging into the BIOS's display settings and prioritizing the Mobo's output rather that the GPU's.
hope this info helps in any sort of way. :p

The6MileMan

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Okay, I tried to make it a bit simpler, and the problem with the seating of my GPU is that its like stuck in place. The front half that faces the rear of the pc is sticking up while the front is locked into the slot. The lock on the PCI-e won't go back so i can remove my GPU until I get the DVI cable I need

The6MileMan

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

Would this cable work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041BT21M/ref=asc_df_B0041BT21M5049023?smid=A1N1CRVHKL29ML&tag=shopzilla0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_rev_185-20;14988876662855150908610080302008005&linkCode=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B0041BT21M

Hue____Man

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017

It wouldn't, there wouldn't be a signal unfortunately. check on your monitor to see what type of connection it requires. Oh my, I misinformed, you require a DVI *I*, I would recommend looking at your GPU and looking at the connectors online to see it it matches I would recommend something Like this https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Female-Adapter/dp/B012DLMS1W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498942300&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=dvi+d+to+vga&psc=1

Take a look at DVI http://imageshack.com/a/img922/3302/sDRzxH.png

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Hue____Man, I did wonder at first with the DVI-D! But I don't think you did misinform, I've actually seen various sites saying different things. Scan actually says DVI-D, but the MSI site says DVI-I. So realistically, it'd just require a look at the card!

But I would sooner trust the MSI website... for obvious reasons.

Hue____Man

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017

Yeah, that's by far the better Idea

Hue____Man

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
Solution

Hue____Man

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017

Yeah, It really depends on your monitor and/or GPU. Some they use I and some, D. You might want to double check with your GPU manufacturer on their website because different video cards have different connectors basically. Same goes with the monitor. I tend to use adapters to switch from using DVI and instead use an DVI to VGA or anything but.