Question Does my motherboard support booting from an M.2 SSD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 14, 2019
Hello and thank you for reading!

I recently bought a Seagate FireCuda 510 SSD 2TB, M.2 PCIe and I'm having trouble installing windows and booting from the SSD.
I am using an ASUS maximus hero VII motherboard and I'm beginning to question if my motherboard support booting from a M.2 SSD.

If anyone knows if it is actually possible for me to boot windows using this motherboard and M.2 SSD, I would greatly appreciate the help.

If it is possible, any advice on the best way to go about getting it to work is also very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 14, 2019
Here is a screenshot of diskmanagement
https://prnt.sc/pxi5gu
I also took a screenshot of my computer specs (bit chaotic maybe but should cover most of it)
https://prnt.sc/pxi9wm

More info:
I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to copy the main HDD drive to the M.2 SSD drive.
I am updating my drives right now using the Driver Easy application and will check if the bios now detects the M.2 SSD after it finished.

Again, thank you all for trying to help :)
In the screenshot for diskmanagement, the first disk is the main HDD drive, the second disk is a spare HDD drive and the third is the M.2 NVMe SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
More info:
I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to copy the main HDD drive to the M.2 SSD drive.
I am updating my drives right now using the Driver Easy application and will check if the bios now detects the M.2 SSD after it finished.

Again, thank you all for trying to help :)
Too many moving parts at the same time.

What drive is it actually booted from?
At the end of that cloning process, you needed to disconnect ALL other drives, and allow the system to try to boot from the new drive.
And "Driver Easy" is never a good idea. Ever.

Reactions: Thename'sJonas
Nov 14, 2019
Too many moving parts at the same time.

What drive is it actually booted from?
At the end of that cloning process, you needed to disconnect ALL other drives, and allow the system to try to boot from the new drive.
And "Driver Easy" is never a good idea. Ever.
The main drive, being the first drive (schijf 0) in the diskmanagement picture is booted from. I tried disconnecting all other drives and booting from the only remaining one, being the M.2 SSD, but my motherboard still didn't detect it.

USAFRet

Titan
The main drive, being the first drive (schijf 0) in the diskmanagement picture is booted from. I tried disconnecting all other drives and booting from the only remaining one, being the M.2 SSD, but my motherboard still didn't detect it.
Then the answer to your initial question:
"Does my motherboard support booting from an M.2 SSD?"

Might be No.
Or, it might be you did the cloning steps in the wrong order.

Reactions: Thename'sJonas

USAFRet

Titan
Going from SATA to NVMe can be problematic.

But, at the end of the clone process, the first and only thing you must do is power OFF, disconnect all other drives, and allow the system to try to boot up from only the new drive.
If it works, great.
If it fails...then quite possibly your motherboard does not support booting from that type drive.

TRENDING THREADS