[SOLVED] Does my motherboard supports DDR2 Dual Channel?

RX460_FX8320E

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Hi, I bought two sticks of DDR2 RAM 2GB 667mhz, the two sticks are practically the same, I put them on each slot, my motherboard has two slots. In CPU-Z it says "Channel # Single" so it seems they are not working in dual channel. Motherboard manual says this:

DIMM Slots x 2
Supports DDR2 533 / 667
Each DIMM supports 256/512MB/1GB/2G DDR2
Max Memory Capicity 4GB
Single Channel Mode DDR2 memory module
Registered DIMM and ECC DIMM is not supported

I don't know how to interpret it, I mean it says "single channel mode" doesn't says "only", I just want to make sure if it's possible to have them on dual channel or not. BIOS doesn't said anything about it too. Here are some pictures, hope you can help me, regards.

Solution
To get dual channel operation, you need to populate both ram slots.
Then, also, the max ram total seems to be 4gb and you have already installed 4gb of ram in one slot.
It would not be much worth it to discard your 4gb stick and replace it with two 2gb sticks in dual channel mode.
Then, also, the max ram total seems to be 4gb and you have already installed 4gb of ram in one slot.
It would not be much worth it to discard your 4gb stick and replace it with two 2gb sticks in dual channel mode.

Solution

RX460_FX8320E

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
If it specifically states "Single Channel Mode" then it's likely that's all it supports.

-Wolf sends

So no hope then, I thought that maybe there was a way to unlock it

No, I installed 2 sticks of 2gb each in the only two available DIMM slots, I have now 4gb but no Dual Channel.

RX460_FX8320E

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
I am surprised.
What is the make/model of the motherboard?
Sometimes if you have a bent cpu socket pin, you will get such symptoms.

Well this is an old PC that I'm upgrading, I replaced one stick of 1gb of RAM for these two 2gb, much needed for 64-bits software. The model of the motherboard is P4M900-M7 SE:

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/eol/introduction.php?S_ID=289#specification

I also added an HD 5570 graphics card and planning to get an SSD too, though this old HDD is doing fine for now.

Hi, I bought two sticks of DDR2 RAM 2GB 667mhz, the two sticks are practically the same, I put them on each slot, my motherboard has two slots. In CPU-Z it says "Channel # Single" so it seems they are not working in dual channel. Motherboard manual says this:

DIMM Slots x 2
Supports DDR2 533 / 667
Each DIMM supports 256/512MB/1GB/2G DDR2
Max Memory Capicity 4GB
Single Channel Mode DDR2 memory module
Registered DIMM and ECC DIMM is not supported

I don't know how to interpret it, I mean it says "single channel mode" doesn't says "only", I just want to make sure if it's possible to have them on dual channel or not. BIOS doesn't said anything about it too. Here are some pictures, hope you can help me, regards.

Install and run this.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html
On the main screen it should show if the ram is in dual channel.

RX460_FX8320E

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Install and run this.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html
On the main screen it should show if the ram is in dual channel.

It says single too

Are the two 2gb sticks from the same matched kit?
Some motherboards are very sensitive to this.

Well, they didn't came as a kit, but they are practically the same RAM, same speed, capacity, manufacturer, at least that's what CPU-Z is reporting. I bought them together from the same vendor in Aliexpress. I'm leaning to think there is a limitation of the motherboard.

I don't understand what is so difficult to understand here. If the motherboard supported dual-channel memory, why wouldn't the motherboard manual state so? It doesn't. It specifically states Single Channel Mode.

-Wolf sends

It looks like it, I'm just trying to make sure, that's why I'm asking.

RX460_FX8320E

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Also, do you know why CPU-Z or Speccy is reporting the speed of these RAM as 333mhz instead of 667mhz? My main PC has DDR3 1866mhz and it also shows half of that speed on CPU-Z "DRAM Frequency" and "Max Bandwidth". Is that normal?