[SOLVED] Does my network card affect my wired connection?

mumbo40

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I am getting low speeds on my computer so i asked my provider and they told me i need to upgrade my wireless card as it is max 100gbps. Is this true? my ethernet is plugged into my motherboard but they said ''that doesnt matter as my hardware doesnt support the speeds'' ?

Solution
Getting 70 versus 350 mbps.

Okay. Does seem on the low side considering that 350 mbps is only possible under absolutely ideal, not real world conditions.

However we still do not know anything about your network configurations: ISP, devices, infrastructure, and so forth.

There could be any number of reasons: hardware, firmware, drivers, cables, connectivity....

More information needed.

As a starter for you - typical setup:

ISP ----coax ---> modem ---- ethernet cable ---->[WAN port] Router [LAN port] --- Ethernet cable ----> Wired device /computer

plus (again from router) ~~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

Revise/correct the above line diagram as necessary and identify each component.

Also from your computer run and post...

mumbo40

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Correct, i am using wired but am not getting the speeds i should and theyve told me its because my network card, or soemthing, is not good enough?

Ralston18

Titan
What speeds levels are you paying for and what speed are you getting?

What make and model router (or modem/router) are you using?

What make and model wired network adapter are you using?

Are any other network devices experiencing slow speeds?

In order to understand what everybody is talking about, what your ISP is talking about, u need some basic home networking knowledge, and the very first thing everybody needs to know is, WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR? low speed doesn't mean anything until you throw in some hard numbers. #1, your speed will never go faster than what u paid for.

mumbo40

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Im paying for 350mbps and get about 70 across any device wifi or wired

Ralston18

Titan
Getting 70 versus 350 mbps.

Okay. Does seem on the low side considering that 350 mbps is only possible under absolutely ideal, not real world conditions.

However we still do not know anything about your network configurations: ISP, devices, infrastructure, and so forth.

There could be any number of reasons: hardware, firmware, drivers, cables, connectivity....

More information needed.

As a starter for you - typical setup:

ISP ----coax ---> modem ---- ethernet cable ---->[WAN port] Router [LAN port] --- Ethernet cable ----> Wired device /computer

plus (again from router) ~~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices.

Revise/correct the above line diagram as necessary and identify each component.

Also from your computer run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes).

Solution