Does my router's lan port limits the wired speed to the same as the wireless max?

husaatgaming

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I have a 300 mbit/s max speed router but soon I'll get a 500 mbit/s wired connection. I'll use my router as a switch, so the wire comes in my house, go into the router and I'll get the connection from the router with wire for my PC. Will the router limit my wired connection speed (so it's lan ports) to the same speed as th wireless connection maximum or not?

Solution
^ that was tricky to figure out. took me a second or two to understand that Snipergod87 was talking about me :)
anyway, I have an old TP-link router (don't remember how I got it. I keep it as replacement if something happens to the main gear) that has only 100Mbps lan port. I used it for a month or so couple of years ago and if i was transferring file/files on network (PC and NAS for example) everything else like browsing internet would halt.
Even expensive toys like my RT-AC68 have their own performance issues. 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and USB port were using same CPU resource. So the HDD connected to the router would work only at ~30MBps instead of ~70MBps if the 2.4GHz is enabled. I solved it by overclocking the router CPU from 800Mhz to...

Where is the nonsense exactly? The quoted wifi speed is unrelated to the port speed of the LAN ports. You would struggle to purchase a device today that doesn't offer full wire speedy on all its ports. EDIT: Just re-read and now understand you are referencing a posters name not calling it BS! My apologies!!

^ that was tricky to figure out. took me a second or two to understand that Snipergod87 was talking about me :)
anyway, I have an old TP-link router (don't remember how I got it. I keep it as replacement if something happens to the main gear) that has only 100Mbps lan port. I used it for a month or so couple of years ago and if i was transferring file/files on network (PC and NAS for example) everything else like browsing internet would halt.
Even expensive toys like my RT-AC68 have their own performance issues. 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and USB port were using same CPU resource. So the HDD connected to the router would work only at ~30MBps instead of ~70MBps if the 2.4GHz is enabled. I solved it by overclocking the router CPU from 800Mhz to 1000Mhz. it actually worked at 1.2GHz but at relatively high temps. Doubt many users will do that to their router.

Solution