[SOLVED] Does non-NAS Raid make sense?

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I was thinking about running my drives in a raid 5 setup and was looking up a bit online. My idea was to just get a SATA expansion card, chuck some drives in my tower case run them in raid 5 and call it a day. but everywhere i look i only see people talking about NAS system. I dont want to shelve out the money for a dedicated system when mine should do the job as well. Does it just not make sense to do a multi drive storage in my own case or why is everyone recommending NAS?
i should add that my PC case can fit seven drives and i wouldnt need that many if i were to go with high capacity drives.

Solution
didn't really think about that. Ive never done anything with mass storage but ill eventually need to because im torrenting a lot and the tracker im using encourages to hoard the data as to seed as much as possible. im already 3 TB in and will add a lot more in the future so i was looking into this topic as to prevent all my files to vanish in the case of drive failure.
Physical drive fail is only one of the ways of data loss, and not even the most common.
And that is all a RAID 5 protects against, physical drive fail.

kanewolf

Titan
I was thinking about running my drives in a raid 5 setup and was looking up a bit online. My idea was to just get a SATA expansion card, chuck some drives in my tower case run them in raid 5 and call it a day. but everywhere i look i only see people talking about NAS system. I dont want to shelve out the money for a dedicated system when mine should do the job as well. Does it just not make sense to do a multi drive storage in my own case or why is everyone recommending NAS?
i should add that my PC case can fit seven drives and i wouldnt need that many if i were to go with high capacity drives.
A "SATA expansion card" may not support RAID5. A dedicated RAID controller would. To support RAID5, the parity data has to be calculated in realtime. That really needs to be done in dedicated hardware. Something that a RAID card would have and a SATA card wouldn't.
Beyond that, as @rgd1101 asked "What is your disaster recovery (backup) plan?"

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
A "SATA expansion card" may not support RAID5. A dedicated RAID controller would. To support RAID5, the parity data has to be calculated in realtime. That really needs to be done in dedicated hardware. Something that a RAID card would have and a SATA card wouldn't.
Beyond that, as @rgd1101 asked "What is your disaster recovery (backup) plan?"
didn't really think about that. Ive never done anything with mass storage but ill eventually need to because im torrenting a lot and the tracker im using encourages to hoard the data as to seed as much as possible. im already 3 TB in and will add a lot more in the future so i was looking into this topic as to prevent all my files to vanish in the case of drive failure.

USAFRet

Titan
Physical drive fail is only one of the ways of data loss, and not even the most common.

Solution

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020

i think just physical drive fail protection is good for the start. once i delve a bit deeper into the topic ill think of something else.