[SOLVED] Does overclocking still affect lifespan if voltage & temps are the same? (higher frequency clock)

Fect123

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
on my rtx 2060 i have managed to overclock it to 2010MHz core, but my temperatures are the exact same, and voltage is actually lower than before, due to undervolting. works perfectly fine. would this still affect the lifespan?

Solution
on my rtx 2060 i have managed to overclock it to 2010MHz core, but my temperatures are the exact same, and voltage is actually lower than before, due to undervolting. works perfectly fine. would this still affect the lifespan?

There's one other factor that affects silicon life and that's current density in the cores. The higher operating frequency will increase current a lot even though the lower operating voltage is helping to keep things cooler.

Power consumed (with heat as a waste product) is a function of both voltage and current over time...which is the operating frequency component again.

The correct answer is: yes, it will affect the lifespan. But how much? hard to say without the proprietary FIT data Nvidia...

There's one other factor that affects silicon life and that's current density in the cores. The higher operating frequency will increase current a lot even though the lower operating voltage is helping to keep things cooler.

Power consumed (with heat as a waste product) is a function of both voltage and current over time...which is the operating frequency component again.

The correct answer is: yes, it will affect the lifespan. But how much? hard to say without the proprietary FIT data Nvidia doubtless develops. And then: probably more depends on the quality of your silicon sample as anything else.

Last edited:
Solution