[SOLVED] Does overclocking your CPU increase RAM speed compatibility?

tomworthington2004.tw

Commendable
Jan 21, 2018
I have a Ryzen 5 2600X and 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (I have gone into the BIOS and made it so it is running at 3200MHz).

The 2600X supports RAM speeds of up to 2933MHz, so my RAM is being underclocked to 2933MHz.

My question is: if I were to overclock my CPU, would it increase the speed of RAM is supports and, if so, how much would I have to overclock my 2600X to be able to support 3200MHz RAM and actually allow it to run at that speed?

Thanks.

Solution
I have a Ryzen 5 2600X and 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (I have gone into the BIOS and made it so it is running at 3200MHz).

The 2600X supports RAM speeds of up to 2933MHz, so my RAM is being underclocked to 2933MHz.

My question is: if I were to overclock my CPU, would it increase the speed of RAM is supports and, if so, how much would I have to overclock my 2600X to be able to support 3200MHz RAM and actually allow it to run at that speed?

Thanks.
First you have to differentiate RAM "speed" (actually performance) and it's frequency. So, no, RAM wouldn't run at any faster frequency but may better "speed" as in performance with faster CPU frequency but that's pretty small margin. On the other hand, Ryzen responds nicely to...

Thanks.
First you have to differentiate RAM "speed" (actually performance) and it's frequency. So, no, RAM wouldn't run at any faster frequency but may better "speed" as in performance with faster CPU frequency but that's pretty small margin. On the other hand, Ryzen responds nicely to higher memory frequency .
You don't really need to OC Ryzen to get higher RAM frequency.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

tomworthington2004.tw

Commendable
Jan 21, 2018
First you have to differentiate RAM "speed" (actually performance) and it's frequency. So, no, RAM wouldn't run at any faster frequency but may better "speed" as in performance with faster CPU frequency but that's pretty small margin. On the other hand, Ryzen responds nicely to higher memory frequency .
You don't really need to OC Ryzen to get higher RAM frequency.

Thank you so much for the help and reassurance. I was just confused and you've cleared things up for me so thanks. I probably sounded really stupid but oh well at least I know now.