Question Does RTX 3080 is bottlenecked by Core I5-11400

Swiftbasic1978

Prominent
Sep 18, 2021
Hello, can you pls share your opinion...

I have just bought RTX 3080 and run it with Core I5-11400. I run games on display with native resolution 2560 x 1440.
Do I need to change my CPU?

Yes and no. It is a mixture of yes and no and at varying degrees.

What games do you play? Different games can be CPU limited (bottlenecked) while others may not.

You should find out what games you may or may not see an improvement in, and decide if the cost is worth it to you.

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
Hello, can you pls share your opinion...

I have just bought RTX 3080 and run it with Core I5-11400. I run games on display with native resolution 2560 x 1440.
Do I need to change my CPU?
From my experience, it is generally a yes. Especially in 1080p, but 1440p however is a case to case basis. By that I do mean that the gap is not as large as in 1080p but there is still an fps difference, although much less. You can check yt for cpu comparisons side by side and they will generally show you the same story.

I would recommend you upgrade to something stronger like a 11600k or an i7 for that matter. But its nothing too critical, you will still play games at high fps figures though there is definitely more give that the 3080 has In the event you upgrade. Still, don’t worry too much its a beast of a system either way and im sure you'll be more than happy.

Anyways, Best of Luck!

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Some games are cpu limited(think sims,strategy of mmo)
and some are graphics limited(think fast action shooters)

What counts is how YOU like your current performance.

If you want to try a test,
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
Well... with my display I can use only 2K. So in my case the CPU shouldn't limits the GPU.
Yes it shouldn't and I doubt its limiting your GPU to an extreme extent. You don't have to necessarily upgrade as you are already fine, but just know that there is definitely more FPS ready to be unlocked with a stronger CPU. Even in 2k. Though the effects are less noticed of course compared to 1080. In short, you're fine don't be pressured to upgrade.

Swiftbasic1978

Prominent
Sep 18, 2021
Yes it shouldn't and I doubt its limiting your GPU to an extreme extent. You don't have to necessarily upgrade as you are already fine, but just know that there is definitely more FPS ready to be unlocked with a stronger CPU. Even in 2k. Though the effects are less noticed of course compared to 1080. In short, you're fine don't be pressured to upgrade.
Thanks! I love your answer)

Reactions: ThraxInDistress