Does slow but continuous data transfer damages SSD drives?

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I have a very high end PC but no SSD (yes yes i know i am missing). I have tons of internal storage (over 20 TB) on my PC but finally i have decided to get a new 1 TB SSD (850 evo) and clone my OS to it. I have been using my OS on almost 7 years old 1 TB WD Black hdd but i think its dying as i am experiencing ~10 MB/s transfer rate recently quite a lot when moving stuff so i want to pull the plug off it before it stops working completely and i have to reinstall the whole thing again.

Ok now here is the thing, i have a habbit (bad habbit) of downloading lots of TV shows off torrents and then keep them on my OS drive for 2-3 days uploading until i decide to either delete them or move them onto one of my archive drives. This means my drive is almost always working reading/writing stuff although the data being worked on is small. I have an average internet line, 30 mbps down 10 mbps up but when my pc is running (thats usually 14-16 hours a day) its almost always downloading/uploading unless i am playing multiplayer games. I tend to turn off my pc at night. So does this activity hurts or damages ssd's in general? Would it be better to move my downloads folder to different hard drive rather then keep it on my ssd? I prefer keeping it in my C drive (i.e. the OS drive) and move only the data to drive which i want to keep (as most of them are seagate archive drives which don't perform very well for writes/rewrites).

Solution
An average user won't saturate the manufacturers recommended max read/write cycles in under 20 years mate.

Constant read/write torrent cycles may theoretically halve that - that at a minimum is still 10 years of use & far more average life cycle than any traditional platter drive.
Not something ton worry about at all.
An average user won't saturate the manufacturers recommended max read/write cycles in under 20 years mate.

Constant read/write torrent cycles may theoretically halve that - that at a minimum is still 10 years of use & far more average life cycle than any traditional platter drive.
Not something ton worry about at all.

Solution