[SOLVED] Does somewhat older wireless equipment limit speed other than what the equipment is rated for?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
As far as I know my outdoor router is rated for 150Mbps/150Mbps, but my service provider insists that I cant upgrade my currently shameful 4Mbps/1Mbps internet connection any more unless I upgrade my outdoor equipment first.

Am I being taken for a fool or is there some truth to this speculation?

Solution
One example but it might not be the case since it is hard to say when you deal with WISP.

Lets say your current system is running on the 2.4g band running 802.11n. 150 is about the best you can expect on a point to point because running mimo to increase the speed is hard on point to point. Mimo is what allows you go to 150,300,450....etc

So if they would move to the 5g band they could run 802.11ac and get 433 on a non mimo connection. But this means you would need equipment that could also run on the 5g band. 5g radio band though does not go as far.

This is just one example. WISP also run on 900mhz radios. Many WISP providers have also mostly gone to LTE like the cell phone companies and run these on 2.4, 5 and 900mhz...
Your question is confusing because most people talk about wifi inside their house. Are using some form of wireless to receive your internet from the ISP.

The systems used by ISP to provide internet via wireless have many different systems that are not actually "wifi". The best known is stuff like 4G LTE used by cell phone companies. But many WISP also use stuff like LTE and many other proprietary non "wifi" methods to deliver service. Some very cheap providers will try to use actual wifi but it has all kinds of limitation which is why all quality providers use other methods.

There are too many variable to say why you only get the speeds you do. It could be the signal level is too low. Using a different router may not help that unless it also say works on a different radio channel that you get stronger signals. If this was wifi in your house and you were using 802.11n at 150 you would generally see about 30-40mbps.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Your question is confusing because most people talk about wifi inside their house. Are using some form of wireless to receive your internet from the ISP.

The systems used by ISP to provide internet via wireless have many different systems that are not actually "wifi". The best known is stuff like 4G LTE used by cell phone companies. But many WISP also use stuff like LTE and many other proprietary non "wifi" methods to deliver service. Some very cheap providers will try to use actual wifi but it has all kinds of limitation which is why all quality providers use other methods.

There are too many variable to say why you only get the speeds you do. It could be the signal level is too low. Using a different router may not help that unless it also say works on a different radio channel that you get stronger signals. If this was wifi in your house and you were using 802.11n at 150 you would generally see about 30-40mbps.

Well that's quite insightful as you mentioned, As far as I know my entire setup is capable of allot more Mbps than what the ISP claims it can sustainably handle.
On the task manager in windows, on my usb wifi dongle 300Mbps, wirelessly connected to my indoor Wifi Router 300Mbps, wired connected to my outdoor Wireless Router 150Mbps, connected to the access point a few clicks away on the mountain I have had eyes on speeds on this very same setup up to 50Mbps and upwards for short periods of time eg: an entire weekend none stop.

Why my ISP would claim that higher speeds are not going to work or their exact words not going to "sync" with your quite old equipment is beyond understanding other than they feel that I am using my connection to much already as it is, and that they can only make money if they sell new equipment for an use with higher speeds packages they have on offer that currently will not work with my equipment. (4Mbps down/ 1Mbps up) even thou their service provides package speeds of 100Mbps and higher with 13ms or less latency.

I have even had my eyes on the outdoor router admin page a few times and saw that the signal quality and strength is is a very respectable 90% plus.

So as it stands now I can only download 20Gb per day on my current hardware at this speed, witch cant be upgraded unless new equipment is obtained.

Last edited:
One example but it might not be the case since it is hard to say when you deal with WISP.

Lets say your current system is running on the 2.4g band running 802.11n. 150 is about the best you can expect on a point to point because running mimo to increase the speed is hard on point to point. Mimo is what allows you go to 150,300,450....etc

So if they would move to the 5g band they could run 802.11ac and get 433 on a non mimo connection. But this means you would need equipment that could also run on the 5g band. 5g radio band though does not go as far.

This is just one example. WISP also run on 900mhz radios. Many WISP providers have also mostly gone to LTE like the cell phone companies and run these on 2.4, 5 and 900mhz unlicensed radio bands.

Pretty much you are going to have to believe your ISP and hope you are talking to a tech that really knows how their system works.

Solution