[SOLVED] Does Speed or Cores matter?

Dec 31, 2020
Hey guys. Now my pc is using Intel Core 2 Duo E6750. And I'm planning to upgrade to Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz. My question is: Either speed or number of cores matter? You think which is better to upgrade? AND I have ONE more cpu : Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400. BUT it slower than E6750. BUT REMEMBER, it has 4 cores and 4 threads. SO where do you think is matter? Comment down below

Solution
A dual core processor today is very limiting.
The Q8400 would be the best upgrade.
Some games require 4 cores to even start.
But, it is a 95w part compared to 65w for the duos.
You need to verify that your motherboard supports such a change.
Dec 31, 2020
BTW this is my pc specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 2 cores 2 threads
Acer MCP73VE (mobo)
Gigabyte Geforce GT 240
500w psu
Nvidia Geforce 7050/620i (chipset)
I get this pc from my friend, make for small gaming (ETS2,TALS,MSC,PCBS)

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
This one is better: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
I don't know your situation, but eventually you will need to upgrade for real.
So if you can, save some. You can buy rather good parts for not expensive internet PC if you search good enough.

A dual core processor today is very limiting.
The Q8400 would be the best upgrade.
Some games require 4 cores to even start.
But, it is a 95w part compared to 65w for the duos.
You need to verify that your motherboard supports such a change.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What do you do with this computer?

I agree 100% with the above response. Your best bet would be 4 slower cores in almost any light.
Given a computer of this age, that is operational, and if it is in any way doing what you want it to do acceptably, I would be very reticent to make changes to it at this point. Aside from blowing the dust out I would likely leave that one alone. You are not going to see some astounding different most any way you go IMO when considered against the real possibility of borking the system.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the most important thing is not speed/cores but rather ipc aka instructions per clock. this is how much work a single cpu core can do every clock cycle. the speed is how many clock cycles per second it can do. and the number of cores is how many cores can do those cycles. 1 ghz is 1 billion cycles per second!!

a low ipc is hard to overcome even with high speeds. for instance the old AMD fx series could hit 5 ghz but had such crappy ipc, they could not keep up with anything intel had at the time. software has to be written for more than one core and a lot of common stuff we use only runs on one core. so 2, 4 or 12 cores means nothing to that piece of software as it only uses 1 core. most games seem to need 4 cores minimum right now. some can use more if present, or are limited. every piece of software is different.

i actually have a q6600 system that was used as a gaming rig for a long time by the kids. with 8gb ram and an r9-270 it was good enough for most of what they wanted to do. i'd take the quad core over the other options everytime if in your position.

again speed is not everything, only one piece of the performance puzzle. in general the newer the cpu, the better the ipc. the only time speed can be directly used as a measuring stick is if you have 2 cpu's of the same generation. for instance an 15-4690k at 4ghz vs one at 4.5 ghz. since the ipc is the same, the speed difference makes the performance better at higher speeds. but 4 ghz on a 4690k is not comparable to 4 ghz on an 15-6700k and so on. the same goes between intel and amd as well. just because the intel chip can hit 5 ghz does not mean it is better than an amd chip that "only" hits 4.6 ghz.

right now the 5000 series amd chips at stock speeds out perform the intel ones at 5ghz+ due to the better ipc of the ryzen chips.

Reactions: Krotow
Dec 31, 2020
And I want to ask about Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz. It's tdp is 105w. And I'm using 4 pin eps, does 4 pin eps enough for 105w? BTW thank you so much because of your answer. Because of you all, I'am able to upgrade my ancient tech.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
never really checked into power used by the q6600. i know it is 105 tdp but never looked at actual power usage. i have mine oc'ed to 3 ghz using the tape method and it's been fine on the stock dell cooler it came with. this cooler is much bigger than the stock intel one but it's been great so not bothered replacing it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
look how old that cpu is. mobo's at the time were made to power the cpu's they supported. that's all the core2quad systems i have worked n have ever had.

we didn't need more power until later when cpu's started using more power. at the time intel actually did not lie about the tdp. so what they listed is pretty much what they used. it's only been the last few years where they started plainly making up numbers that were nowhere close to what the cpu actually uses.

so yah it's fine.