Question does ssd affect gpu?

alireza-6909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
hi

i thought maybe my last question isn't clear enough so i ask it differently!

if ssd loads textures faster so it means better quality visuals. if hdd loads textures slower it means worse quality visuals.

does ssd (by faster loading textures) put more pressure on gpu?

tnx

Lutfij

Titan
For people who are confused about what thread OP's referring to;
They all work in tandem however could you clarify why you're asking about what stress on the GPU? You're working with a console, it's moot at this point since the console has it's parts restricted to a defined amount of CPU, GPU and ram power.

jasonf2

Distinguished
On a console almost everything is framerate locked. So even though the latency of texture loads should reduce dramatically and load times will go down some the actual framerate or load on the hardware shouldn't really change too much. That being said I am sure there will be some minor change in utilization at points, just because the hardware isn't idling as much when fetching data. But this won't really reflect during gameplay, which is primarily cached anyways for performance. That being said a PS5 or XB1sX which use a ssd by default are designed around the expected performance of the SSD and would see dramatic reduction if a rust drive were thrown in. This is a latency issue though and while bandwidth ultimately does play into the equation the two to three orders of magnitude latency reduction is the game changer for load times.

alireza-6909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
For people who are confused about what thread OP's referring to;
They all work in tandem however could you clarify why you're asking about what stress on the GPU? You're working with a console, it's moot at this point since the console has it's parts restricted to a defined amount of CPU, GPU and ram power.

i'm confused because i think maybe slow internal hdd cause less pressure on gpu & cpu because it loads textures slowly but ssd loads them fast

alireza-6909

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
On a console almost everything is framerate locked. So even though the latency of texture loads should reduce dramatically and load times will go down some the actual framerate or load on the hardware shouldn't really change too much. That being said I am sure there will be some minor change in utilization at points, just because the hardware isn't idling as much when fetching data. But this won't really reflect during gameplay, which is primarily cached anyways for performance. That being said a PS5 or XB1sX which use a ssd by default are designed around the expected performance of the SSD and would see dramatic reduction if a rust drive were thrown in. This is a latency issue though and while bandwidth ultimately does play into the equation the two to three orders of magnitude latency reduction is the game changer for load times.

framerate doesn't matter much when in some games textures loads too slow that you must wait 2-3 seconds for them to fully load so they actually look like a ps4 game! actually it was the reason why i bought ssd drive and it somehow solves the problem for me

jasonf2

Distinguished
framerate doesn't matter much when in some games textures loads too slow that you must wait 2-3 seconds for them to fully load so they actually look like a ps4 game! actually it was the reason why i bought ssd drive and it somehow solves the problem for me
Texture load time will be reduced with a SSD. Just the nature of the beast. It has the ability to retrieve data at solid state speeds rather than having to wait for the mechanical pickup in the drive seek the spot it needs, read it and send it back.